IMAP Migration without using user passwords

IMAP Migration without using user passwords

Post by Paul Begle » Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have tested the IMAP migration tool and it works fine connecting to a Sun
server and sucking down the messages into Exchange Server.

I am very happy with the tool, but I have one constraint - I don't have
access to the user passwords and with preliminary testing, I can't figure
out how to run the migration as 'root' to access all the user mailboxes.

Please reply to "paul-at-wolffdata.com" and I will post a summary to the
group.

Regards,

-peb

IMAP Migration without using user passwords

Post by Paul Begle » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

No response at all from the newsgroup.

To date, this is what I have discovered.

1.    There is no obvious way to perform the IMAP migration as root.

2.    The UNIX Source Extraction utility does not extract data from folders
and dumps core when it hits a file it can't interpret as mail (like a tar
file).  Its useless for most IMAP users, but might work for POP accounts.

3.    The most productive approach appears to be having the users download
mail and use the Outlook Import functionality.  It does a good job, can get
both messages and address book(s).

I will let you know how the migration goes and whether I find a better
migration method.

Quote:> I have tested the IMAP migration tool and it works fine connecting to a
Sun
> server and sucking down the messages into Exchange Server.

> I am very happy with the tool, but I have one constraint - I don't have
> access to the user passwords and with preliminary testing, I can't figure
> out how to run the migration as 'root' to access all the user mailboxes.

> Please reply to "paul-at-wolffdata.com" and I will post a summary to the
> group.

IMAP Migration without using user passwords

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for feedback.

> No response at all from the newsgroup.

> To date, this is what I have discovered.

> 1.    There is no obvious way to perform the IMAP migration as root.

> 2.    The UNIX Source Extraction utility does not extract data from folders
> and dumps core when it hits a file it can't interpret as mail (like a tar
> file).  Its useless for most IMAP users, but might work for POP accounts.

> 3.    The most productive approach appears to be having the users download
> mail and use the Outlook Import functionality.  It does a good job, can get
> both messages and address book(s).

> I will let you know how the migration goes and whether I find a better
> migration method.

> > I have tested the IMAP migration tool and it works fine connecting to a
> Sun
> > server and sucking down the messages into Exchange Server.

> > I am very happy with the tool, but I have one constraint - I don't have
> > access to the user passwords and with preliminary testing, I can't figure
> > out how to run the migration as 'root' to access all the user mailboxes.

> > Can anyone point me in the right direction?

> > Please reply to "paul-at-wolffdata.com" and I will post a summary to the
> > group.

group).

Kirill

1. change password with OWA without using SSL?

Is it possible to configure IIS/Exchange 2k to allow passwords to be
changed within Outlook Web Access WIHTOUT using SSL?  I've read several
of the MS articles regarding configuring IISADMPWD and that seems to
work without SSL, but not within OWA.  All of my clients access OWA
using VPN client software so the traffic is encrypted.  I'd rather not
mess with a certificate server if I don't have to.  Any insight
appreciated.  Thanks.

Steve

2. Outlook/Exchange Question

3. Internet recipients receiving multiple messages from DL

4. How to change the Win2K user password without login to the server

5. moving exchange 2000 to different network

6. Getting into users account without password

7. MS PO users cannot send SMTP mail via IMC

8. Changing passwords for users without log on

9. How to change the Win2K user password without login to the server

10. IMAP client (Pocket PC client using IMAP)

11. Deleting users without using Admin gui

12. How to send a mail through VB application using CDONTS without using Outlook