2 internet mail servers in the same domain

2 internet mail servers in the same domain

Post by Thuong Tra » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 02:30:37

We are in the process of merging 2 companies together and I just want to
know for sure if it is possible to have 2 internet mail servers with
separate mail boxes in the same domain or not. I know that it is Ok to have
multiple MX entry in the DNS with different preference numbers but I still
don't know how incoming mail know that it has to go to the second Exchange
server after cannot find the mail box on the first one. Please, help

2 internet mail servers in the same domain

Post by Peter Johnso » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 02:53:55

If the 2 servers are in the same exchange site then the Directory will
handle it. What you could do is the following:

Have the IMS on both servers set up to handle both domains and have DNS
entries for both servers set to the same weight. This will give you
loadbalanced SMTP servers across both servers and both domains.

Cheers
Peter Johnson

Quote:> We are in the process of merging 2 companies together and I just want to
> know for sure if it is possible to have 2 internet mail servers with
> separate mail boxes in the same domain or not. I know that it is Ok to
have
> multiple MX entry in the DNS with different preference numbers but I still
> don't know how incoming mail know that it has to go to the second Exchange
> server after cannot find the mail box on the first one. Please, help

2 internet mail servers in the same domain

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:10:51

Exchaneg can not act as smarthost (forwarding it to another server if local
delivery fails).

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

2 internet mail servers in the same domain

Post by Thuong Tra » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 04:16:22

Thanks for your info, but unfortunately the mail server on the other company
is not even MS Exchange. So, I just want to know how it work in principal,
not for Exchange only.