GAL in last, first; From: & To: in first last

Post by Todd A. Scalzo » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I believe you will need to set up an address book view.  You would leave the
> display names as First Last becasue that is what will be used when
> formatting the From and To lines.  However, you would create an address book
> view for the users which sorted the fields as Last, First.  I haven't done
> this myself and could be wrong.  You could do a search through the on-line
> documentation for address book views to do some experimenting.

I wish that it was that easy.  For some reason, Exchange 5.0 (I wonder about
5.5) won't let an Address Book View be sorted by anything other than such
items as city, company, state, etc.--no name fields are available for sorting.

--

Todd A. Scalzott
Network Manager, Kastle Systems, LLC.

GAL in last, first; From: & To: in first last

Post by Amiri Jone » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I wish that it was that easy.  For some reason, Exchange 5.0 (I wonder
about
> 5.5) won't let an Address Book View be sorted by anything other than such
> items as city, company, state, etc.--no name fields are available for
sorting.

        Unfortunately, 5.5 is the same way; no name fields present.  Any MS
programmers/tech crew/etc. wanna jump in and offer some help on this one,
cuz I'd like to show the names this way as well!!

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> I wish that it was that easy.  For some reason, Exchange 5.0 (I wonder
>about
>> 5.5) won't let an Address Book View be sorted by anything other than such
>> items as city, company, state, etc.--no name fields are available for
>sorting.

>    Unfortunately, 5.5 is the same way; no name fields present.  Any MS
>programmers/tech crew/etc. wanna jump in and offer some help on this one,
>cuz I'd like to show the names this way as well!!

Since the purpose of an address book view is to separate your
recipients into individual "views" the recipients must be grouped by
common attributes. Unless you consider all the people with the last
name or "Jones" or "Smith" to be worthy of their own group (or view)
then using names doesn't make sense.

GAL in last, first; From: & To: in first last

Post by Amiri Jone » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Since the purpose of an address book view is to separate your
> recipients into individual "views" the recipients must be grouped by
> common attributes. Unless you consider all the people with the last
> name or "Jones" or "Smith" to be worthy of their own group (or view)
> then using names doesn't make sense.

        Yeah, but what about the original request?  I'd like to be able to have
names shown First Last, but sorted on Last (instead of First, which is what
happens with that format).  Basically, I want the list shown like a list of
graduates shown in a graduation ceremony (first example that came to
mind...)  Any ideas?

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> Since the purpose of an address book view is to separate your
>> recipients into individual "views" the recipients must be grouped by
>> common attributes. Unless you consider all the people with the last
>> name or "Jones" or "Smith" to be worthy of their own group (or view)
>> then using names doesn't make sense.

>    Yeah, but what about the original request?  I'd like to be able to have
>names shown First Last, but sorted on Last (instead of First, which is what
>happens with that format).  Basically, I want the list shown like a list of
>graduates shown in a graduation ceremony (first example that came to
>mind...)  Any ideas?

'Fraid not.
Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

GAL in last, first; From: & To: in first last

Post by Paul Brainar » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

You could duplicate their first & last names in custom attributes and
create a custom AB view grouped by those attributes (don't know why MS
decided not to give us the name fields to use here) and then have the
display names be First Last.

Post by Rich Matheis » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>You could duplicate their first & last names in custom attributes and
>create a custom AB view grouped by those attributes (don't know why MS
>decided not to give us the name fields to use here) and then have the
>display names be First Last.

They didn't because it doesn't make sense to create a view of all the
"Smith"s in the GAL (or the "Jones"s either).

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >You could duplicate their first & last names in custom attributes and
> >create a custom AB view grouped by those attributes (don't know why MS
> >decided not to give us the name fields to use here) and then have the
> >display names be First Last.

> They didn't because it doesn't make sense to create a view of all the
> "Smith"s in the GAL (or the "Jones"s either).

        No, but it makes perfect sense to somehow be able to have the names
displayed First Last and sorted on the last name.  Hell, Outlook can do
that in its contacts folders!  There is a File As box that has a default
algorithm for determining how to file the entry, but it can be overridden.

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 20 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>> >You could duplicate their first & last names in custom attributes and
>> >create a custom AB view grouped by those attributes (don't know why MS
>> >decided not to give us the name fields to use here) and then have the
>> >display names be First Last.

>> They didn't because it doesn't make sense to create a view of all the
>> "Smith"s in the GAL (or the "Jones"s either).

>    No, but it makes perfect sense to somehow be able to have the names
>displayed First Last and sorted on the last name.  Hell, Outlook can do
>that in its contacts folders!  There is a File As box that has a default
>algorithm for determining how to file the entry, but it can be overridden.

The order in which the names appear within the view (or the GAL) is a
simple sort on the display name.

The Outlook Contacts folder is managed by the client. It treats the
contents of the folder as a miniature database, just as the Exchange
directory is. What you ask for is certainly "doable" simply by
creating another index on the recipient names. But I'm not going to do
it. Why not tell MS what you want.