Remote users / VPN / Synced folders - Help !?

Remote users / VPN / Synced folders - Help !?

Post by Not Her » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:47:36

G'day

We have configured VPN access to all our remote users with their laptops. We
have setup syncronization with the folders etc so they are able to work
offline too. The big thing is, that it is real slow. These users are coming
from POP accounts, and they are used to quick download of email.
Syncronizing email when online dialed up is really slow. Some of these users
have about 200mb of email in their inboxes. What is the recommended maximum
for these accounts. Prior to this install, they had no limits, and have been
in the mindset for years of keeping every piece of email.

We have started to setup auto-archiving, which reduces their 800mb emails to
about 200mb, but would this be the reason it takes forever to work remotely?

Also, when syncroniziing it seems to take ages on 'organizational forms'
eventhough we are not using them at all ?!

Any suggestions as to the best methods of remote acces would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Greg.

Remote users / VPN / Synced folders - Help !?

Post by Lanwenc » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:11:22

Quotas depend on your company's resources & needs. On average, I usually set
the max limits between 100-200MB. And yes, the mailbox size is very likely
the problem. I always tell recalcitrant users that I've had the same mailbox
for three years, used for both personal and business, and it's under 75MB,
because I take the time to do constant housekeeping. If you enable deleted
item retention, people will feel more comfortable throwing things out...

Stay away from autoarchving to PST; PST files are bad news, unless you tell
the users to keep the PST files local and you will absolutely have nothing
to do with supporting them, ever. Not kidding! There are third party archive
tools at www.slipstick.com that use different file formats, if you really
need it, and you could burn people CDs of their very important e-mails, such
as "FW: FW: FW: World's Best Lawyer Jokes".

If you have the remote users come in & sync once while on the LAN, and sync
frequently while away from the office, syncing will take much less time.
Using OWA for 'quick hits' will be useful to many, as well.

Re organizational forms trying to sync, I have no idea... try playing with
the sync setttings in Outlook.

Quote:> G'day

> We have configured VPN access to all our remote users with their laptops.
We
> have setup syncronization with the folders etc so they are able to work
> offline too. The big thing is, that it is real slow. These users are
coming
> from POP accounts, and they are used to quick download of email.
> Syncronizing email when online dialed up is really slow. Some of these
users
> have about 200mb of email in their inboxes. What is the recommended
maximum
> for these accounts. Prior to this install, they had no limits, and have
been
> in the mindset for years of keeping every piece of email.

> We have started to setup auto-archiving, which reduces their 800mb emails
> about 200mb, but would this be the reason it takes forever to work
remotely?

> Also, when syncroniziing it seems to take ages on 'organizational forms'
> eventhough we are not using them at all ?!

> Any suggestions as to the best methods of remote acces would be greatly
> appreciated.

> Thanks

> Greg.

1. Remote users / VPN / Synced folders - Help !?

[...]

2. Work around

3. IM and Remote users over VPN

4. connector Microsoft Schedule+ Free/Busy

5. Remote 9x users VPN to Win2k Domain/Exchange 2000

6. Outlook Today name change

7. IM and remote users over VPN

8. virtual smtp server

9. Remote DSL-VPN users getting Exchange timeouts

10. Remote users cannot connect to Exchange Server through vpn

11. IM and Remote Users using VPN

12. IM and remote users over VPN

13. VPN Connectivity for Remote Outlook users