purging users

Post by mdrape » Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:09:47

Hello all,

I administer as 2000 exchange server using active directory. when people
leave the organisation I hide them from address book and disable their
logins.

1. This usually creates errors in the event log that exchange is then unable
to access the mailbox.

2. Eventually I want to delete them and release the licences back to the
pool, but the purge option is always greyed out.

what's the best way of deleting a mailbox for someone thats left ??

thanks in advance

Martin

purging users

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:44:35

Well, I would stop and disable the License Logging Service.  As far as I
know, and I am not qualified to quote licensing terms for Microsoft, you are
not required to pay for a license for a mailbox that has no user.

What in Exchange is trying to access the mailboxes?  Please post the exact
message if you want a more coherent answer.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

Quote:> Hello all,

> I administer as 2000 exchange server using active directory. when people
> leave the organisation I hide them from address book and disable their
> logins.

> 1. This usually creates errors in the event log that exchange is then
unable
> to access the mailbox.

> 2. Eventually I want to delete them and release the licences back to the
> pool, but the purge option is always greyed out.

> what's the best way of deleting a mailbox for someone thats left ??

> thanks in advance

> Martin

purging users

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:16:25

>I administer as 2000 exchange server using active directory. when people
>leave the organisation I hide them from address book and disable their
>logins.

>1. This usually creates errors in the event log that exchange is then unable
>to access the mailbox.

Event 9548? When you disable the user, add the "Associated External
Account" right to their set of rights. Use the "Mailbox rights..."
button on the "Exchange Advanced" tab of their property page.

Quote:>2. Eventually I want to delete them and release the licences back to the
>pool, but the purge option is always greyed out.

Is the mailbox shown with a red "x" next to it?

Quote:>what's the best way of deleting a mailbox for someone thats left ??

Wait at least 30 days (i.e. set the expiry period for deleted
mailboxes to 30 days). Then let the system delete the mailbox.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Auto-purging users Deleted Items folder

We use Exchange and Outlook 97 here, and our users are using the
Deleted Items folder as storage for old mail, and mailboxes are getting
too large.  I know there are ways to limit mailbox sizes and such but I
am specifically looking for a way to have their Deleted Items folder
purged on a daily basis.

I can walk around to each PC on our network and go to the General tab
of the Outlook Options and tell it to purge the Deleted Items folder
without confirmation, but we have too many PCs to do this.  Strangely
enough when I change those settings it does nothing to the registry or
INI files on the PC, so I can not use a remote registry change.  I can
not find what it changes on the server to change that either.  Does
anyone know what I can do to achieve this goal?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Intranet Newsgroups

3. purged user accounts...

4. How do I add GAB from an LDAP server?

5. How I can delete/purge some messages in mail box of user

6. Changing name

7. Disabling users from purging messages

8. Can create users but can't create mailboxes

9. Disallowing user from Purging Deleted messages

10. Stop users from purging

11. delete user and purge mailbox

12. Prohibiting users from purging deleted items

13. Cannot Purge or reconnect Mailbox