Multiple DAT files in MTAdata Directory

Post by Tom Cherr » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Here's our problem...Every two to three days the mtadata directory gets
backed up with 4,000 - 8,000 dat files.  I understand that these dat files
get reused, however their size should remain at 1 byte, whereas these files
are 8 and 12 meg in size.  I have run the mtacheck and this has cleared out
most of the dat files...but they return in a couple of days.  Also, we have
a large number of sites, and occasionally some replication will get lost in
these dat files.  Is there something I need to set to have the dat files
purged/reset back to 1 byte or is it something else...Any feedback is
greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
Tom Cherry

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Here's our problem...Every two to three days the mtadata directory gets
>backed up with 4,000 - 8,000 dat files.  I understand that these dat files
>get reused, however their size should remain at 1 byte, whereas these files
>are 8 and 12 meg in size.  I have run the mtacheck and this has cleared out
>most of the dat files...but they return in a couple of days.  Also, we have
>a large number of sites, and occasionally some replication will get lost in
>these dat files.  Is there something I need to set to have the dat files
>purged/reset back to 1 byte or is it something else...Any feedback is
>greatly appreciated...

The MTACHECK shouldn't be removing those files if they contain
undelivered messages. Are you using any other switches on the MTACHECK
command line than /v and /f?

Do you have connectors on your servers that aren't actually connecting
to anything? Maybe the MTA is placing messages into a connector queue
based on the available address spaces? An example of this would be an
IMS set to operate in "Inbound" mode but it still has an SMTP address
space or a "Connected Site". The MTA will select the messages based on
the most appropriate match on the address space and, since it
considers an IMS to be "always available" (regardless of the "Transfer
Mode") the IMS queue will get the message (where it will sit until the
IMS decides to accept messages again).

In which MTA Queue do these messages appear? Does the PerfMon show a
large value in the "MSExchangeMTA/Work Queue Length" counter? These
will give you a clue about where the problem may lie.