Problems sending email when out of office is set

Problems sending email when out of office is set

Post by Syed A » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:39:43

Hello,

We are using Exchange 2000 Build 6249.4 with service pack 3.
Our clients are mostly on Windows 2000 service pack 3 with Outlook
2000.
When the clients set out of office and choose to forward all messages
to an external email address, the forwarding is not done. When I look
in the message tracker for the specific messageI see the last line
entry under the message history as "SMTP: Message submitted to
categorizer". However, the clients do send the "I am out of office
response" to the sender of the email.

I have turned on diagnostic logging for SMTP and when I checked the
c:\exchsrvr\myserver.log and I do not see the message as being sent,
although I see other non vacation related messages as being sent. I
have turned on the categorizer log, but I am not sure which directory
the log is stored in.

I checked in the BadMail directory and all the files there are in
binary format so I cannot read them. I did open the files using
notepad, write and even IE, but there is hardly any line readable in
them. There seem to be a number of posts listed in this newsgroup
about messages not being delivered after "SMTP: Message submitted to
categorized" however none of the posts I saw in this newsgroup so far
seem to give any clue...

Thank you!

Problems sending email when out of office is set

Post by Neil Hobso » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:44:32

Sounds like you've not enabled automatic replies/forwards to the Internet,
in the Global Settings part of ESM.

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

Quote:> Hello,

> We are using Exchange 2000 Build 6249.4 with service pack 3.
> Our clients are mostly on Windows 2000 service pack 3 with Outlook
> 2000.
> When the clients set out of office and choose to forward all messages
> to an external email address, the forwarding is not done. When I look
> in the message tracker for the specific messageI see the last line
> entry under the message history as "SMTP: Message submitted to
> categorizer". However, the clients do send the "I am out of office
> response" to the sender of the email.

> I have turned on diagnostic logging for SMTP and when I checked the
> c:\exchsrvr\myserver.log and I do not see the message as being sent,
> although I see other non vacation related messages as being sent. I
> have turned on the categorizer log, but I am not sure which directory
> the log is stored in.

> I checked in the BadMail directory and all the files there are in
> binary format so I cannot read them. I did open the files using
> notepad, write and even IE, but there is hardly any line readable in
> them. There seem to be a number of posts listed in this newsgroup
> about messages not being delivered after "SMTP: Message submitted to
> categorized" however none of the posts I saw in this newsgroup so far
> seem to give any clue...

> Thank you!

Problems sending email when out of office is set

Post by Don Tan [MSFT » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 04:59:50

Hello,

Neil is right, by default Exchange 2000 server DOES NOT allow messages to
be forward to the internet or external mail. This also applies if you do
replies to the internet.

To enable this option.

Start System Manager.

Double-click Global Settings, and then click Internet Message Formats.

Depending on your configuration, there may be one or more Internet Message
Format objects.

In the detail pane, right-click the Default object, and then click
Properties on the shortcut menu.

Click the Advanced tab, and then click to check  the "Allow Automatic
Forward" and "Allow Automatic Replies" check box.

Click OK.

Most likely you don't need to restart any services for these to take
effect.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
Microsoft Online Support Professional

Problems sending email when out of office is set

Post by Syed A » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:53:19

Your proposed solution resolved the problem, thank you to both of you for your help.

Quote:> Hello,

> Neil is right, by default Exchange 2000 server DOES NOT allow messages to
> be forward to the internet or external mail. This also applies if you do
> replies to the internet.

> To enable this option.

> Start System Manager.

> Double-click Global Settings, and then click Internet Message Formats.

> Depending on your configuration, there may be one or more Internet Message
> Format objects.

> In the detail pane, right-click the Default object, and then click
> Properties on the shortcut menu.

> Click the Advanced tab, and then click to check  the "Allow Automatic
> Forward" and "Allow Automatic Replies" check box.

> Click OK.

> Most likely you don't need to restart any services for these to take
> effect.

> Thank you and have a nice day.

> Sincerely,

> Don Tan, MCSE/MCSA
> Microsoft Online Support Professional

Problems sending email when out of office is set

Post by Don Tan [MSFT » Wed, 05 Feb 2003 04:28:44

Ali,

You're welcome and have a good day.