Offline Backups

Post by David R. Eato » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:58:42

I recently purchased ONTRACK PowerControls which is a
wonderful tool for Exchange Administrators. One of the
features of this tool is to extract the Priv.EDB, Pub.EDB
and Dir.edb from an NTBackup .bkf file. This is great for
getting copies of these files without bringing down the
server to do it. The only problem is that this tool uses a
GUI only and cannot be scripted.
Does anyone know of a tool that will decompress the
Exchange files from an NTBackup .BKF file from the command
line? I want to script this so that I have ready access to
the Priv.edb so that I can use the PowerControls to grab
individual items if needed.
Thanks for any assistance

David R. Eaton
Exchange Administrator
Special Operation Command Central

Offline Backups

Post by mr gri » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:18:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of a tool that will decompress the
> Exchange files from an NTBackup .BKF file from the command
> line? I want to script this so that I have ready access to
> the Priv.edb so that I can use the PowerControls to grab
> individual items if needed.

you've contacted ontrack support to verify there isn't a way to do this?
one would think a piece of 1k+ software for discriminating admins would have
scripting in mind.

although i know of no solutions off the top of my head, if you wanted to get
ugly you could still automate the gui using wsh, winrunner, etc.

Offline Backups

Post by David R. Eato » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:24:27

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>> Does anyone know of a tool that will decompress the
>> Exchange files from an NTBackup .BKF file from the
command
>> line? I want to script this so that I have ready access
>> the Priv.edb so that I can use the PowerControls to grab
>> individual items if needed.

>you've contacted ontrack support to verify there isn't a
way to do this?
>one would think a piece of 1k+ software for

discriminating admins would have
Quote:>scripting in mind.

>although i know of no solutions off the top of my head,

if you wanted to get
Quote:>ugly you could still automate the gui using wsh,
winrunner, etc.

I contacted Tech Support at Ontrack prior to this post.
They are considering the command line capabilities in a
future realease. PowerControls is on version 1.1 so its
pretty "young". I will give some attention to automating
the GUI though it is a tad "scary".
I will say that PowerControls ability to extract
individual mailbox items, straight from the priv.edb, is
very useful. The hard part is getting the offline backups
without downtime.

Thanks for the response.

David R. Eaton