NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100% CPU

NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100% CPU

Post by Caryn Hefferre » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

For some reason, at 11:00 PM CDT the CPU on our Exchange 5.5 SP2, NT SP5
news server hit 100% and wouldn't go down.  This was directly related to the
outbound newsfeed (when I disabled it, CPU fell).  I deleted the feed and
recreated it and things were fine (although I'm not sure posts were going
out, the Event Viewer showed messages that they were) all day.  Last night
at 4:00 AM CDT same thing happened.  Inbound articles are being received and
posted to public folders fine.  The only thing that changed on the server
was I unsubscribed to about 10 newsgroups and our firewall had been down the
first time for about 30 mins.

1.  Any ideas?  Q197491?
2.  How can I track if my posts are going out?  Is there some queue to
check?  I suspect they are not going out and maybe they are queuing up
somewhere?  BTW, nothing in MTA's and pub.edb is not growing more than
usual.

Thanks.
-Caryn

NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100% CPU

Post by Caryn Hefferre » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

BTW, if I go to the Advanced tab in the newsfeed and click Mark All As
Delivered, the CPU drops.

Quote:> For some reason, at 11:00 PM CDT the CPU on our Exchange 5.5 SP2, NT SP5
> news server hit 100% and wouldn't go down.  This was directly related to
the
> outbound newsfeed (when I disabled it, CPU fell).  I deleted the feed and
> recreated it and things were fine (although I'm not sure posts were going
> out, the Event Viewer showed messages that they were) all day.  Last night
> at 4:00 AM CDT same thing happened.  Inbound articles are being received
and
> posted to public folders fine.  The only thing that changed on the server
> was I unsubscribed to about 10 newsgroups and our firewall had been down
the
> first time for about 30 mins.

> 1.  Any ideas?  Q197491?
> 2.  How can I track if my posts are going out?  Is there some queue to
> check?  I suspect they are not going out and maybe they are queuing up
> somewhere?  BTW, nothing in MTA's and pub.edb is not growing more than
> usual.

> Thanks.
> -Caryn

NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100% CPU

Post by Caryn Hefferre » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

If anyone is interested, I tracked this down to one message in particular
from Event Viewer messages.  I had the article ID but didn't know how to use
that to find the actual article.  I systematically unsubscribed to
newsgroups individually and watched the CPU.  I found the newsgroup that
held the article in question.  Still without knowing the actual article, I
deleted the folder and recreated it from the newsfeed config.

My newsfeed provider checked stats and it seems we are pushing everything,
not just our replies to articles.  They are, of course, rejecting most of
them because they already know about them.  Is there a way to change a push
feed to only send replies?  We have a separate "I have"  feed for articles
they send us from a different host.

Anyone out there?

Quote:> For some reason, at 11:00 PM CDT the CPU on our Exchange 5.5 SP2, NT SP5
> news server hit 100% and wouldn't go down.  This was directly related to
the
> outbound newsfeed (when I disabled it, CPU fell).  I deleted the feed and
> recreated it and things were fine (although I'm not sure posts were going
> out, the Event Viewer showed messages that they were) all day.  Last night
> at 4:00 AM CDT same thing happened.  Inbound articles are being received
and
> posted to public folders fine.  The only thing that changed on the server
> was I unsubscribed to about 10 newsgroups and our firewall had been down
the
> first time for about 30 mins.

> 1.  Any ideas?  Q197491?
> 2.  How can I track if my posts are going out?  Is there some queue to
> check?  I suspect they are not going out and maybe they are queuing up
> somewhere?  BTW, nothing in MTA's and pub.edb is not growing more than
> usual.

> Thanks.
> -Caryn

NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100% CPU

Post by Dawid Sadi » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

As to your question to track posts of News - I read a technet artical
regarding the logging of NewsFeed on Exchange and it said that there are
reg edits you can perform to enable this logging. I Cant remember the
number but try and searcg for NNTP or NEWS or LOGGING or ALL OF THE
ABOVE? if you don't find it let me know and i will search for it again.

Dawid Sadie

Posted At: Tuesday, 23 November 1999 10:45
Posted To: admin
Conversation: NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100%
CPU
Subject: Re: NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100%
CPU

If anyone is interested, I tracked this down to one message in
particular
from Event Viewer messages.  I had the article ID but didn't know how to
use
that to find the actual article.  I systematically unsubscribed to
newsgroups individually and watched the CPU.  I found the newsgroup that
held the article in question.  Still without knowing the actual article,
deleted the folder and recreated it from the newsfeed config.

My newsfeed provider checked stats and it seems we are pushing
everything,
not just our replies to articles.  They are, of course, rejecting most
of
them because they already know about them.  Is there a way to change a
push
feed to only send replies?  We have a separate "I have"  feed for
articles
they send us from a different host.

Anyone out there?

> For some reason, at 11:00 PM CDT the CPU on our Exchange 5.5 SP2, NT
SP5
> news server hit 100% and wouldn't go down.  This was directly related
the
> outbound newsfeed (when I disabled it, CPU fell).  I deleted the feed
and
> recreated it and things were fine (although I'm not sure posts were
going
> out, the Event Viewer showed messages that they were) all day.  Last
night
> at 4:00 AM CDT same thing happened.  Inbound articles are being
received
and
> posted to public folders fine.  The only thing that changed on the
server
> was I unsubscribed to about 10 newsgroups and our firewall had been
down
the
> first time for about 30 mins.

> 1.  Any ideas?  Q197491?
> 2.  How can I track if my posts are going out?  Is there some queue to
> check?  I suspect they are not going out and maybe they are queuing up
> somewhere?  BTW, nothing in MTA's and pub.edb is not growing more than
> usual.

> Thanks.
> -Caryn

NNTP - Outbound newsfeed causes Store.exe to consume 100% CPU

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 26 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Download news to regular newsreader (Netscape Communicator will do the job),
display Full headers of the messages and this will reveal message IDs.

--
Intel is trying to spoil AMD by pressuring motherboard makers.
Say YES to AMD at

Thanks.

Kirill S. Palagin

1. STORE.EXE consumes 100% cpu

I have a situation where within 10 minutes of rebooting our Exchange Server,
the Information Store Service suddenly consumes 100% cpu, and all email
comes to a standstill. Killing the service and restarting it temporarily
solves the problem and email gets caught up, but in 5 or 10 minutes the same
problem recurs.

This problem arose about a day after installing Windows 2000 SP2.

I have since reapplied the latest hotfixes at Q291222, but this has failed
to solve the problem.

The Exchange Server 2000 is running on the Domain Controller. We have a
small office with < 12 employees.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brian

2. Mail Problems

3. Store.exe is consuming 100% of CPU resource

4. Automating the Clean Mailbox utility on the Server?

5. store.exe consumes 100% CPU time

6. OWA - Outlook web access

7. store.exe causes 100% CPU usage

8. trouble receiving replies

9. Store.exe cpu usage 100% caused by eTrust InoculateIt

10. Store.exe cpu usage 100% caused by Mcafee Groupshield 5

11. store.exe causing 100% CPU Utilization

12. Problem: Exchange 5.0 IS Store.exe causes 100% CPU utilization

13. Q: store.exe at 100% CPU cause?