Perfmon, high usage pages output per second in excess of 2000 !

Perfmon, high usage pages output per second in excess of 2000 !

Post by Chad Markl » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 08:32:48

I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on an NT 4.0 server running SP6a 512Mb
RAM, 1.4 PIII processor and plenty of diskspace.

Users were complaining that the mail server was running slow so I
started checking it out. Come to find out, the processor utilization
was nil but the Memory/Pages/second counter, specifically the Output
per second, was through the roof!!!

I checked other postings and the only weird thing I found was 30
emails in the outbound queue which were replies to bogus email
addresses from users that no longer exist. I deleted those and also
stopped NAV for Exchange. Changing these made no difference.

After rebooting the output per second is averaging 27! I scoured
Technet to no avail.

Does anyone know what would cause this??

Also, there is plenty of room for swapping and the actual swapping was
not excessive.

Anyone?? :)

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 10:17:29

>I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on an NT 4.0 server running SP6a 512Mb
>RAM, 1.4 PIII processor and plenty of diskspace.

>Users were complaining that the mail server was running slow so I
>started checking it out. Come to find out, the processor utilization
>was nil but the Memory/Pages/second counter, specifically the Output
>per second, was through the roof!!!

>I checked other postings and the only weird thing I found was 30
>emails in the outbound queue which were replies to bogus email
>addresses from users that no longer exist. I deleted those and also
>stopped NAV for Exchange. Changing these made no difference.

>After rebooting the output per second is averaging 27! I scoured
>Technet to no avail.

>Does anyone know what would cause this??

Not enough memory? What process is paging? What else runs on the
machine besides Exchange?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Pages per second memory question.

I have a microsoft exchange 2k server w/ 2 gigs of memory.  We host
about 200 email accounts on this server.  Sometimes it crawls and goes
so slow that it takes forever even to check mail.  I did some logging
and I noticed that sometimes our pages per second was in the 100's.
How many pages per second is too much for a server of this kind?  What
does this tell me?  Can any of you point me to some good literature
about this sort of thing?  Thanks guys

2. SLOOOWWW internal emails

3. perfmon -- Exchange Server 2000 Memory Usage

4. Routing SMTP mail

5. High Processor Usage on STORE.EXE in Exchange 2000

6. exchange & internet mail

7. Installing OWA 2000 on second IIS WEB Page

8. problems checking multiple mailboxes

9. Exchange 5.0 very high CPU usage.

10. Store.exe High Mem Usage

11. Inetinfo.exe - high CPU Usage

12. Store.exe high memory usage

13. store.exe has High Memory Usage after sp 3