*.dat files in exchsrvr\mtadata\

Post by Paulo Cardos » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Anyone knows what are the .dat files in the directory exchsrvr\mtadata\
? I have two of those files growing fast  ( both with more than 1Gb )
and the disk is getting full. The event viewer is giving permanent error
about those files, and refering something about a bad list member
lenght.

Any help would be great.

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Anyone knows what are the .dat files in the directory exchsrvr\mtadata\
>? I have two of those files growing fast  ( both with more than 1Gb )
>and the disk is getting full. The event viewer is giving permanent error
>about those files, and refering something about a bad list member
>lenght.

The files in the MTADATA directory are part of the MTA database.
Depending on what file you're looking at the may have different
contents. Some of them are for managing queues of messages, others are
the messages themselves.

If you're getting events in the Application Log from the MTA then you
might want to stop the MTA, make a copy of the MTADATA directory,
delete the contents of the MTACHECK.OUT directory and run MTACHECK
against the database.

See the following MS KB articles for instructions:
Q163326 "XCON: How and Why to Run Mtacheck"
Q148284 "XCON: When and How to use the Mtacheck Utility"
Q157214 "XCON: Deleting a "Bad" Message from the MTA Queue"
Q157323 "XCON: Identifying and/or Reconstructing a Connector Queue"
Q163307 "XCON: How to Identify Most MTA Queues by Object Id"
Etc.

You might also check the System Log for problems with the disk.
Running a CHKDSK on the dirve may also help.