How to create a Shared Contact List

Post by Vince Rinne » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:16:28

Running Exchange 2000 on 2000 Server.  Clients use Outlook
2000.

I want to have one master company directory with all of
our vendor and customer contact information in it.

I already have my personal address book with all of these
names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses in
it.  This is the list that I want to share with everyone.

I want the shared list to be updated only by me.  Everyone
else in the organization can view it but not make changes.

I want this list to be part of their address book when
they send emails.

In Exchange 5.5, I think this was called a Recipients
Container.

How do I do this type of setup in Exchange 2000?

Thanks!

How to create a Shared Contact List

Post by Susan VanAlle » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 05:29:10

The easiest way would be to create a public folder which holds contact
items, then copy (drag) your contacts to it. Give the default users only
read access, while you as the owner will have full access. For them to
resolve email addresses in the "To" box, they need to go to the public
folder properties and click on address book tab, check off show this as an
outlook address book, then add it to their tools>>services>>addressing list.
Hope this helps!
--
Susan VanAllen
Systems Administrator

Quote:> Running Exchange 2000 on 2000 Server.  Clients use Outlook
> 2000.

> I want to have one master company directory with all of
> our vendor and customer contact information in it.

> I already have my personal address book with all of these
> names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses in
> it.  This is the list that I want to share with everyone.

> I want the shared list to be updated only by me.  Everyone
> else in the organization can view it but not make changes.

> I want this list to be part of their address book when
> they send emails.

> In Exchange 5.5, I think this was called a Recipients
> Container.

> How do I do this type of setup in Exchange 2000?

> Thanks!

How to create a Shared Contact List

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 06:40:31

But that will not make it part of the GAL, although users can add it to
their Outlook Address Book.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange