No front end/back end OWA for standard exchange2k

No front end/back end OWA for standard exchange2k

Post by newsguy.. » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:36:52

can someone confirm/deny and/or point to documantation that says that
exchange 2k standard will not work in a frontend (webserver) back end
(exchange server) configuration for OWA.

Larry Ventura

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

No front end/back end OWA for standard exchange2k

Post by Scott Garret » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:09:37

I have run Exchange 2000, in a front-back configuration specifically for
access via OWA. Running multiple back-end and front-end servers. In my
expierence once you have it all set up properly it works very well. It is a
little trickey to get everything right with some setting within exchaneg and
others in IIS.

Quote:> can someone confirm/deny and/or point to documantation that says that
> exchange 2k standard will not work in a frontend (webserver) back end
> (exchange server) configuration for OWA.

> Larry Ventura

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. OWA in Front-End / Back-End Topology

Can someone help me with these two problem that i have
with OWA in the front-end / back-end topology?  I would
appreciate it.

I have two Exchange 2000 servers.  One is configured as
the front end server with no mailbox store or public
store.  I deleted those two stores.  However, the first
storage group is still there and the InformationStore
service is still running.  The second Exchange 2000 is the
back end server that holds mailboxes and public folders.

Instead of using the default HTTP virtual server, i
created a custom HTTP virtual server so that users will
access it via OWA by just entering http://mail.domain.com
instead of http://mail.domain.com/exchange.

When i access my custom HTTP virtual server under the IIS
using MMC, the virtual server tells me that the path to
the mailbox (M:\domain.com\MBX) is invalid.  Of course it
is invalid because it does not exist.  It only exists if
there is a mailbox store mounted on the server.  Since i
deleted the mailbox store, the path no longer exits.

So my question is, is this a normal occurance?  Should i
point it to somewhere instead?

Well, beside the path is invalid, everything is working
fine, except for these two problems below.

First problem: when a user open his/her mailbox using a
web browser, he/she gets an error stating that "The item
could not be found.  It may have been deleted."  Further
investigation indicated that this error message only pops
up when the user click on the Folders link.  For some
reasons, OWA thinks that there is an item missing that it
cannot retrieve. This may have to do with the fact that
because the public store is not mounted and the asp
references the public folders somewhere in its
programming.  Has anyone encountered this error? Does
anyone has a solution for this?

Second problem:  The logoff page is not working.  When a
user click on the logoff page, it stated that the page
could not be found.  I checked and there is a logoff.asp
under the virtual directory exchweb\bin\usa of the custom
HTTP virtual server, so i don't know why it's not
working.  Anyone has a solution for this?  Please help.
Thank you very much.

JD

2. Importing an database from MS Access into exchange.

3. OWA: Back End Server Works Fine, Front End Server Just Gives Logon Challenge Repeatedly

4. Rehash: using CDO to access other user's mailbox

5. OWA front-end accesses all but one back-end

6. Unknown SMTP commands ?

7. Exchange 5.5 OWA Front End with Exchange 2000 Back End

8. Problem....relaying is prohibited ?

9. OWA Front End/Back End

10. Problem with Exchange2000 OWA Front-End / Back-End solution

11. OWA Front-End /Back-end not working

12. question about OWA and front-end/back-end configuration

13. OWA using front end/clustered back end configuration