eseutil across network

Post by TS » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:48:41

Hi all

Due to space limitations, I am going to need to run
eseutil on my Exchange 5.5 server (SP3) using the temp
swap of another drive on my network. Can anyone spell out
what switches I will need to do this to another drive?

Thanks for the input!

TS

eseutil across network

Post by Susa » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:11:37

see Q192185...

Quote:

> Hi all

> Due to space limitations, I am going to need to run
> eseutil on my Exchange 5.5 server (SP3) using the temp
> swap of another drive on my network. Can anyone spell out
> what switches I will need to do this to another drive?

> Thanks for the input!

> TS

1. Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

I need to know if this article applies to the new EseUtil Utility in
Exchange 5.5 because I have the same problem with my Priv.edb Datase (It
gets to big)

 - Microsoft Exchange Server version 4.0

SUMMARY
=======

The Priv.edb file can become larger than 50 percent of the hard disk space.
In this situation, edbutil /d cannot be run on the computer. You may have
to find a computer with hard disk drive space greater than twice the size
of the Priv.edb file. However, there are situations in which the Priv.edb
file becomes so big that you do not have a computer with enough hard disk
drive space to run edbutil. In this situation, the workaround is to run
edbutil across the network

MORE INFORMATION
================

To run edbutil and output the resulting file on a remote computer:

1. Back up the Priv.edb file to tape.

2. Find a Windows NT computer with free hard disk drive space equal to the
   size of the Priv.edb file.

3. Map a drive (in the example below, the F drive) to a computer on the
   network that has the needed free space.

4. Do one of the following:

    - From the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory, carry out the following command:

         Edbutil /d /ispriv /tf:\tempdfrg.edb

   -OR-

   a. Change to the newly mapped network drive.

   b. Set the path to the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory:

         path c:\exchsrvr\bin

   c. Carry out the following command:

         Edbutil /d /ispriv

      When the above command is carried out, a Tempdfrg.edb file is created
      on the remote drive.

NOTE: Because the Priv.edb file is being written to as the defragmentation
occurs, any network problems can lead to corruption in the Priv.edb file,
and the corruption would lead to the need to restore the backup created in
step 1. The /p switch can also be used to avoid problems with corruption of
the original Priv.edb file in case of a problem with the network or either
computer during defragmentation.
Keywords          : XADM kbnetwork kbusage
Version           : winnt:4.0
Platform          : winnt
Issue type        : kbhowto kbinfo
=
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

Joel Cancel Nieves, MCSE

2. IMS undeliverable mssgs: 451 - Domain must resolve

3. Unable to access Exchange Across Network

4. NDR after user's mailbox is deleted

5. Appending a signature file across a network

6. Mail stuck in Outbox?

7. Appending a signature across a network

8. open relaying problem

9. admin 5.5 across network

10. 1 outlook mailbox chatters across network

11. Backup across the network

12. Move Mailboxes: Across trusts-across Sites