550 Relay and IMAP Client Problem... Is this a problem?

550 Relay and IMAP Client Problem... Is this a problem?

Post by Barry Schwart » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

your post, but you worded it so well...  We have the same problem.  Those of
you who have already offered help, thank you!  We continue to seek the right
answer...
AND...

This is NOT the answer:
You need to specify in Outlook Express to authenticate outgoing messages as
well.  It is under the servers tab in the account properties.

AND...
This is NOT the answer:
have you check domain\username\alias - in order to work "normally" the alias
should be the same as user name if not use the syntax above

AND...
This is NOT the answer:
Is there a firewall between the clients and the Exchange SMTP server?
Any chance that it's a Cisco PIX? If so, turn off the Mail Guard (I
think that's what it's called).

If it's not a PIX, it may still be blocking the EHLO command from the
clients, forcing them to use HELO. The clients, then, will never see
the "250-AUTH LOGIN" and they'll never try to authenticate.

Note:We are able to use the EHLO command from outside, our firewall is not
blocking.

The MS KB #Q174152 states that:
"The Microsoft Exchange Server IMAP component does not support the
AUTH-LOGIN authentication mechanism."

THOUGHTS?

And, Thanks... In advance!

Barry Schwartz

550 Relay and IMAP Client Problem... Is this a problem?

Post by Barry Schwart » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Sorry... Forgot the description...
our internet mail service wasn't relay-secure. So we set the following
options for the Internet Mail Service properties:
- Reroute incoming SMTP mail (required for POP3/IMAP4 support)
And routing restrictions to:
- Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate
From our LAN we can send mails to internal and external addresses.
But our employees, who dial-in over other providers, can only send mails to
the users of our Exchange Server (internal users), but not to external
adresses! The option in the email client program (Outlook Express), that
SMTP server needs to authenticate, is enabled. Our Exchange server always
says, that relaying is prohibited!
Where is the error?

stealing
> your post, but you worded it so well...  We have the same problem.  Those
of
> you who have already offered help, thank you!  We continue to seek the
right
> answer...
> AND...

> This is NOT the answer:
> You need to specify in Outlook Express to authenticate outgoing messages
as
> well.  It is under the servers tab in the account properties.

> AND...
> This is NOT the answer:
> have you check domain\username\alias - in order to work "normally" the
alias
> should be the same as user name if not use the syntax above

> AND...
> This is NOT the answer:
> Is there a firewall between the clients and the Exchange SMTP server?
> Any chance that it's a Cisco PIX? If so, turn off the Mail Guard (I
> think that's what it's called).

> If it's not a PIX, it may still be blocking the EHLO command from the
> clients, forcing them to use HELO. The clients, then, will never see
> the "250-AUTH LOGIN" and they'll never try to authenticate.

> Note:We are able to use the EHLO command from outside, our firewall is not
> blocking.

> The MS KB #Q174152 states that:
> "The Microsoft Exchange Server IMAP component does not support the
> AUTH-LOGIN authentication mechanism."

> THOUGHTS?

> And, Thanks... In advance!

> Barry Schwartz

550 Relay and IMAP Client Problem... Is this a problem?

Post by Douglas Buchanan [MVP » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Make sure the dial-in users are authenticating as DOMAIN\NTUSER\Alias

> Sorry... Forgot the description...
> our internet mail service wasn't relay-secure. So we set the following
> options for the Internet Mail Service properties:
> - Reroute incoming SMTP mail (required for POP3/IMAP4 support)
> And routing restrictions to:
> - Hosts and clients that successfully authenticate
> From our LAN we can send mails to internal and external addresses.
> But our employees, who dial-in over other providers, can only send mails
> the users of our Exchange Server (internal users), but not to external
> adresses! The option in the email client program (Outlook Express), that
> SMTP server needs to authenticate, is enabled. Our Exchange server always
> says, that relaying is prohibited!
> Where is the error?

> stealing
> > your post, but you worded it so well...  We have the same problem.
Those
> of
> > you who have already offered help, thank you!  We continue to seek the
> right
> > answer...
> > AND...

> > This is NOT the answer:
> > You need to specify in Outlook Express to authenticate outgoing messages
> as
> > well.  It is under the servers tab in the account properties.

> > AND...
> > This is NOT the answer:
> > have you check domain\username\alias - in order to work "normally" the
> alias
> > should be the same as user name if not use the syntax above

> > AND...
> > This is NOT the answer:
> > Is there a firewall between the clients and the Exchange SMTP server?
> > Any chance that it's a Cisco PIX? If so, turn off the Mail Guard (I
> > think that's what it's called).

> > If it's not a PIX, it may still be blocking the EHLO command from the
> > clients, forcing them to use HELO. The clients, then, will never see
> > the "250-AUTH LOGIN" and they'll never try to authenticate.

> > Note:We are able to use the EHLO command from outside, our firewall is
not
> > blocking.

> > The MS KB #Q174152 states that:
> > "The Microsoft Exchange Server IMAP component does not support the
> > AUTH-LOGIN authentication mechanism."

> > THOUGHTS?

> > And, Thanks... In advance!

> > Barry Schwartz

1. Urgent: smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay problem

Hello all. I have two Exchange 2000 servers with a very curious
problem: users in server B can send messages to users in server A but
users in server A cannot send messages to users in server B. I receive
this messsage:

      Test, user in 26/05/2003 11:18
assistance, contact your system administrator.
            <domain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

2. Auto comments

3. Relay problem - no 550 issued

4. CDO Message Sender

5. 550 Relay Prohibited Clietn Problem

6. CleanMail Admin Beta 2

7. master email account ??

8. Exchange 2000 relay error 550 problem Help Please

9. Need help fixing Access Denied 550 error problem

10. 550 Unknown User Error - Strange Problem

11. IMAP Clients get "550 Unauthorized Relay" message trying to send mail to Internet

12. IMAP client (Pocket PC client using IMAP)