Compacting the exchange 2k database

Post by Oliver Marshal » Wed, 22 May 2002 20:10:37

Hi,

Is it possible to run a routine to compact the exchange database like it you
could do with any other database ?
Currently the STORE.EXE uses about 800MB and the server in total uses about
1500MB of ram. I would like to get the info store way down in size if
possible, and im sure that the amount of ram being used is too high, as our
other office has three times more users and less than two thirds the amount
of ram is being used.

Any ideas how i can achieve this ?

Olly

Compacting the exchange 2k database

Post by Scott Schnoll [MVP » Thu, 23 May 2002 00:14:10

Hi,

Generally, you never need to compact your Exchange databases.  Typically
you'll only need to do this if you have recently removed a lot of data from
the databases (e.g., deleted a lot of mailboxes, or moved a lot of mailboxes
off to another server).

The size of the database is unrelated to the amount memory allocated to the
store.exe process.  A feature called Dynamic Buffer Allocation is used to
manage memory on an Exchange 2000 server. This is an algorithm that acts as
a sort of a memory manager. Store.exe gets all available memory and uses it
for Exchange's buffer cache until another process requests memory from the
OS.  In this event, Exchange pages out some of its buffer memory to disk,
releases memory and the memory is then allocated to the requesting process.

In Ex5.5 you could use the performance optimizer to limit the amount of
memory available to Exchange.  The Performance Optimizer is gone in Exchange
2000, and there is no publicly documented procedure for limiting the amount
of memory available to Exchange.  The reason for this is that you don't want
to do this!

Hope this helps.
--
Regards,

Scott Schnoll
MCT MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP
Exchange 2000 Server: The Complete Reference - ISBN 0072127392
TNT Software - www.tntsoftware.com
Microsoft Cluster Server Center - www.nwnetworks.com/cluster.html
Internet Explorer Security Center - www.nwnetworks.com/iesc.html

Quote:> Hi,

> Is it possible to run a routine to compact the exchange database like it
you
> could do with any other database ?
> Currently the STORE.EXE uses about 800MB and the server in total uses
about
> 1500MB of ram. I would like to get the info store way down in size if
> possible, and im sure that the amount of ram being used is too high, as
our
> other office has three times more users and less than two thirds the
amount
> of ram is being used.

> Any ideas how i can achieve this ?

> Olly

1. Compacting the Exchange database

My exchange database is getting larger and larger... (18
gb) I am sure the users are deleted old file and getting
new emails... but database doesn't get smaller as the
delete their emails.. so what should I do. Does exchange
2000 automatically compacts the database... as emails get
deleted.. or does it leaves wholes in it like exchange 5.5
server.. you have to repair the database after a while..
can some one please give me some information on this

2. HELP! problems recieving e-mail from frontpage forms.

3. Defrag/Compact Exchange 5.5 Database

4. SMTP error 4.4.6

5. Compacting the Exchange databases

6. moving private folders to server inboxes

7. how to compact exchange database

8. EXCHANGE SERVER 5.5 Outlook 2002 (Delete Items)

9. Exchange database repair & compact

10. Exchange database compacting

11. Compact/resize exchange database (MDB file)

12. Freeing disk space - Compact exchange database?

13. hard disk space - Compacting Exchange database?