Exchange 5.5 - broken SMTP headers

Post by Mike Seabroo » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:58:26

We recently re-installed Exchange on one of our servers, the way you sometimes
do.  Since then, the SMTP headers on our e-mails seem to have been broken.  Mail
servers receiving e-mail via that server cannot correctly parse the mail header,
so they display it as part of the message body.  "From" and "Subject" appear
blank when viewed through Inbox - and more importantly, file attachments remain
undetected and undecoded.

The culprit appears to be a stray ">" character at the top of each mail.  Please
does anybody know how to make it go away?

Mike Seabrook

Exchange 5.5 - broken SMTP headers

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 02:27:28

In IMC props/Diag logging set logging level for Message Archival to MAX and restart
IMC.
Then send _small_ message to outside, find corresponding file in
\exchsrvr\imcdata\out\archive and post it here.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

Exchange 5.5 - broken SMTP headers

Post by Mike Seabroo » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:59:02

When you look at it in the message log, it is far worse than I thought.  Here it
comes ...

Quote:> c=US;a= ;p=domain1;l=SERVER1-001030140156Z-

188 /O=DOMAIN1/OU=SERVER1/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=KJCOGGINS          G

by SERV
 with Internet Mail Service (5.5.2650.21)
        id <V8STVT2B>; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:01:58 -0000

Subject: TEST EMAIL
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:01:56 -0000

Yer tis!

Kate Coggins

--

.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:38:06

>When you look at it in the message log, it is far worse than I thought.  Here it
>comes ...

Heh . . . the archived copy of the message has a bit of internal data
stored with it. Chop off the stuff before the 1st "Received" header
and it looks a lot neater.

This is the junk:

Quote:>0

  ImCr     (    yB

>> c=US;a= ;p=domain1;l=SERVER1-001030140156Z-
>188 /O=DOMAIN1/OU=SERVER1/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=KJCOGGINS

And here's the stuff you want:

                id <V8STVT2B>; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:01:58 -0000

                                        [ snip ]

This sort of problem is usually caused by incorrect or absent PTR
records in DNS. Fix the problem and reboot the Exchange server.

I can't find an MX or A record for the address "alderelygroup.co.uk"
so I can't check the PTR record for the address.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Exchange 2K SMTP header and Mail header

hi there, is there anyway that i can remove or edit the SMTP header of
Exchange2K? What about the mail header that contain info (ip
addresses, hostname etc) on every hop the email goes to, anyway to
remove or edit those so that when recipient receive the email,
recipient wont be able to see such info in the mail header? Heard that
editing of the MTA will be able to mask out mail header. Anybody with
any idea please help. Many thanks.

TJ

2. ISSCAN on Exchange 5.5 SP4

3. Sender IP Address in SMTP Header Question (Exchange 5.5)

4. Monitoring Tools

5. Exchange 5.5 SMTP Sender IP Address in Header Question

6. Recipient update problem event ID 8284 ----- HELP!! please

7. Broken Headers - Help!! :)

8. WebDAV .NET 1.0 component

9. Exchange 2000 to Exchange 5.5 MTA broken from changing Service Account

10. Exchange 5.5 Web Access Site is broken

11. w2k sp3 breaks exchange 5.5 administrator?

12. Exchange 5.5 SP2 breaks Certificate Renewal

13. Exchange 5.5 Upgrade Broke Inbox Assitant for Message Forwarding