Hypertext links to Exchange Files?

Post by John Hal » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

We are wanting to create a Document that would have links to files posted
into the  public folders of Exchange 5.5.

I didn't think this was possible but if someone could let me know I would
appreciate it.

Thanks

John

Hypertext links to Exchange Files?

Post by Andy Web » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

It is possible, but it may not be as straight forward as you think.

CDO can access any object via ASP, so that is the "possible".

Also, SIte Server Search can index a public folder.  If you have a unique
property on each item (like in the subject or another document field/column)
then you can search on that specific item.  Search results then provide
direct access to the items which you could perhaps copy into other pages as
well.

Andy Webb

Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
Dilbert

Quote:> We are wanting to create a Document that would have links to files posted
> into the  public folders of Exchange 5.5.

> I didn't think this was possible but if someone could let me know I would
> appreciate it.

> Thanks

> John

Hypertext links to Exchange Files?

Post by John Hal » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Alright any other ideas would be helpfull.  Should I look into groupware
add-ons.  Because that is basicly what I am needing to do:  Manage files and
link together from other files.
Any suggestions would be helpfull.

> It is possible, but it may not be as straight forward as you think.

> CDO can access any object via ASP, so that is the "possible".

> Also, SIte Server Search can index a public folder.  If you have a unique
> property on each item (like in the subject or another document
field/column)
> then you can search on that specific item.  Search results then provide
> direct access to the items which you could perhaps copy into other pages
as
> well.

> --
> Andy Webb

> Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
> Dilbert

> > We are wanting to create a Document that would have links to files
posted
> > into the  public folders of Exchange 5.5.

> > I didn't think this was possible but if someone could let me know I
would
> > appreciate it.

> > Thanks

> > John

Hypertext links to Exchange Files?

Post by Chris Schar » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

hmm... don't have a clear picture on what you're trying to do (and a
clear picture might not help :). Check www.eastmansoftware.com, does
their document management software do what you were looking for or am
i making things too complex?

>Alright any other ideas would be helpfull.  Should I look into groupware
>add-ons.  Because that is basicly what I am needing to do:  Manage files and
>link together from other files.
>Any suggestions would be helpfull.

>> It is possible, but it may not be as straight forward as you think.

>> CDO can access any object via ASP, so that is the "possible".

>> Also, SIte Server Search can index a public folder.  If you have a unique
>> property on each item (like in the subject or another document
>field/column)
>> then you can search on that specific item.  Search results then provide
>> direct access to the items which you could perhaps copy into other pages
>as
>> well.

>> --
>> Andy Webb

>> Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
>> Dilbert

>> > We are wanting to create a Document that would have links to files
>posted
>> > into the  public folders of Exchange 5.5.

>> > I didn't think this was possible but if someone could let me know I
>would
>> > appreciate it.

>> > Thanks

>> > John

Hypertext links to Exchange Files?

Post by John Hal » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Sorry, about not being clear.

1)  We want to create a document (word...etc.) that would have clickable
hyperlinks that would point to files posted (uploaded by users) into
exchange 5.5 public folders.  Like links to ftp sites only these links
download (or allow you to view) files that were posted into public folders.

2)Document management with Exchange 5.5 public folders.  Are there ways to
lock down files so that co-workers can't download it to modify while I am
working on the specified file.

I hope that is more clear.

Thanks

John

> hmm... don't have a clear picture on what you're trying to do (and a
> clear picture might not help :). Check www.eastmansoftware.com, does
> their document management software do what you were looking for or am
> i making things too complex?

> >Alright any other ideas would be helpfull.  Should I look into groupware
> >add-ons.  Because that is basicly what I am needing to do:  Manage files
and
> >link together from other files.
> >Any suggestions would be helpfull.

> >> It is possible, but it may not be as straight forward as you think.

> >> CDO can access any object via ASP, so that is the "possible".

> >> Also, SIte Server Search can index a public folder.  If you have a
unique
> >> property on each item (like in the subject or another document
> >field/column)
> >> then you can search on that specific item.  Search results then provide
> >> direct access to the items which you could perhaps copy into other
pages
> >as
> >> well.

> >> --
> >> =======================================================
> >> Andy Webb

> >> Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
> >> Dilbert
> >> =======================================================

> >posted

> >would

Hypertext links to Exchange Files?

Post by Chris Schar » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Sorry, about not being clear.

>1)  We want to create a document (word...etc.) that would have clickable
>hyperlinks that would point to files posted (uploaded by users) into
>exchange 5.5 public folders.  Like links to ftp sites only these links
>download (or allow you to view) files that were posted into public folders.

Not sure.. you can do hyperlinks to folders (and documents?) within an
Outlook mail message, but I'm not sure about from within a word
document... I've just not tied. I'd say posting that message in
microsoft.public.outlook might get you a series of good suggestions.

Quote:>2)Document management with Exchange 5.5 public folders.  Are there ways to
>lock down files so that co-workers can't download it to modify while I am
>working on the specified file.

That would be an appropriate use for the Eastman Software link I
believe. Microsoft has stated publicly that the next release of
Exchange will have an add-on piece for document management, but
currently there's nothing native to Exchange. Eastman Software makes a
good product for that purpose, I attended a meeting last month where
they gave a presentation.... it was a geek-fest so we focused a lot on
the HOW rather than on the FFB (Features, Functions and Benefits)
which one normally hears for sales reps. I was impressed with the
functionality of the product, and for people needing document
management, it seemed as legitimate a product as Documentum or Lotus
.Doc.