Synchronous read page checksum error -1018

Synchronous read page checksum error -1018

Post by gsar.. » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I recently found my event log filled with these checksum error -1018
errors.  After doing some research on Microsoft's knowledgebase, it
looks like it may be hardware and/or SCSI timing issues.  I'm running
Exchange 5.5 SP2 (downloaded SP3 as I write this).  Has anyone
encountered this error?  What did you do to fix it?  I am running NT4
SP4 on a dual PIII 450 with 512 MB RAM and a RAID5 with a DPT120 SCSI
RAID Controller.  Thanks!

-george sarlas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I recently found my event log filled with these checksum error -1018
> errors.  After doing some research on Microsoft's knowledgebase, it
> looks like it may be hardware and/or SCSI timing issues.

Or faulty antivirus software.

Quote:>  I'm running
> Exchange 5.5 SP2 (downloaded SP3 as I write this).  Has anyone
> encountered this error?

Yes.

Quote:> What did you do to fix it?

Correct way of recovering is restore from latest ONLINE backup.
See
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/55/whpprs/BackupRestore.htm

Quote:>  I am running NT4

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Post by Rich Matheise » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I recently found my event log filled with these checksum error -1018
>errors.  After doing some research on Microsoft's knowledgebase, it
>looks like it may be hardware and/or SCSI timing issues.  I'm running
>Exchange 5.5 SP2 (downloaded SP3 as I write this).  Has anyone
>encountered this error?

Yes, they have.

Quote:>What did you do to fix it?

1. Repair the hardware (or replace it).
2. Restore the previous backup (the last one to complete
successfully).

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Synchronous read page checksum error -1018

Post by gsar.. » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I looked through some of the articles on Microsoft's knowledge-base, and
found one (Q151789) that suggest checking that write-back caching is not
enabled on the SCSI controller.  Has anyone ever had problems with this?
 How did you fix it?  Thanks.

-george sarlas

Post by Rich Matheise » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>I looked through some of the articles on Microsoft's knowledge-base, and
>found one (Q151789) that suggest checking that write-back caching is not
>enabled on the SCSI controller.  Has anyone ever had problems with this?

If you haven't suffered a power failure or other such interruption
then that article has no bearing on your problem. The only problem
with write-back cache is that it may not have a chance to write the
information in its memory to disk. Battery backup on the controller
card is the way to address that. Using ECC memory is important, too.
And don't use a controller that tosses away the contents of the cache
if you reconfigure the RAID.

Quote:> How did you fix it?  Thanks.

Fix what, the -1018? Restore from a backup that was made before the
-1018's started showing up.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Synchronous read page checksum error -1018

Post by Missy Koslosk » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

A little late here...

In my experience, the -1018 is the liss of death for a server.  It's
hardware.  Move the users off the box onto a different box, rehome the PFs,
move the connectors, etc.  Then dig into the hardware.  Restoring from
backup will get you going for a day or two, but the problems will come back.

Been there, done that, paid the price.

There was a good presentation at MEC on -1018 errors.  Keep your eyes open -
MS should post the slides soon.

Missy Koslosky
beauty, eh?

> >I looked through some of the articles on Microsoft's knowledge-base, and
> >found one (Q151789) that suggest checking that write-back caching is not
> >enabled on the SCSI controller.  Has anyone ever had problems with this?

> If you haven't suffered a power failure or other such interruption
> then that article has no bearing on your problem. The only problem
> with write-back cache is that it may not have a chance to write the
> information in its memory to disk. Battery backup on the controller
> card is the way to address that. Using ECC memory is important, too.
> And don't use a controller that tosses away the contents of the cache
> if you reconfigure the RAID.

> > How did you fix it?  Thanks.

> Fix what, the -1018? Restore from a backup that was made before the
> -1018's started showing up.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE, Exchange MVP

Synchronous read page checksum error -1018

Post by Tsegay » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi;
If the popup error in the application event mention direct read found
corrupted pager error, -1018 (1:251563) and etc., it has to be a disk
hardware or device driver problem (most likely HD). The best solution I can
think of  is to replace the SCSI controller.
Tsegaye

Quote:> I recently found my event log filled with these checksum error -1018
> errors.  After doing some research on Microsoft's knowledgebase, it
> looks like it may be hardware and/or SCSI timing issues.  I'm running
> Exchange 5.5 SP2 (downloaded SP3 as I write this).  Has anyone
> encountered this error?  What did you do to fix it?  I am running NT4
> SP4 on a dual PIII 450 with 512 MB RAM and a RAID5 with a DPT120 SCSI
> RAID Controller.  Thanks!

> -george sarlas

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Synchronous read page checksum error -1018

In event log I found this
"MSExchangeIS (130) Synchronous read page checksum error -1018 ((1:66207
1:99871) (0-75991698) (0-77983189)) occurred. Please restore the databases
from a previous backup."

Source: ESE97
Category: Database page cache.

But the server goes, mail's are received and are sent.
Any idea what is wrong

2. ID no. c1031662 on Generating OAB

3. Help - Synchronous read page checksum error 1018

4. OWA

5. Hot to fix many errors like MSExchangeIS (3196) Synchronous read page checksum error -1018?

6. Administrative Tools

7. Pre-read page checksum error -1018

8. Is my server blacklisted?

9. event ID 116 - Synchronous read page checksum error

10. HELP!!!! ESE97 checksum error -1018 Information store corrupt

11. What is this: ESE97 error Synchronous read page checksum error....

12. Question about eseutil and corrupt pages with error -1018