Exchange 5.5 on a new server

Post by Jace » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I am contemplating on installing Exchange 5.5 on a new server, We are
currently running Exchange 5.0 If I set up the two to replicated , would
there be any problems because of the different versions. The old server
would be taken down My main concern is bring over the data.

Thank You.

Exchange 5.5 on a new server

Post by Michel Paqui » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Have a look at:
http://mspress.microsoft.com/reslink/bork/exchange/book/html/excc04_3...

there is a lot of answers concerning moving Exchange.

> I am contemplating on installing Exchange 5.5 on a new server, We are
> currently running Exchange 5.0 If I set up the two to replicated , would
> there be any problems because of the different versions. The old server
> would be taken down My main concern is bring over the data.

> Thank You.

Exchange 5.5 on a new server

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I am contemplating on installing Exchange 5.5 on a new server, We are
>currently running Exchange 5.0 If I set up the two to replicated , would
>there be any problems because of the different versions. The old server
>would be taken down My main concern is bring over the data.

The two can (and will) coexist peacefully. Just don't try to run the
Exchange 5.0 admin program on the IMS (you'll probably get an error
about not being able to load the SMTP extention).

Removing the first server in the site will be something to make sure
you do right.

Refer to this ever-popular list of MS KB articles (also mentioned in
the FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp.htm):

Q152959 "XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site"
Q152960 "XADM: Rebuilding the Site Folders in a Site"
Q189286 "XADM: How to Delete a Server from a Site"

Whether you'll be able to add another server to you existing site
depends on whether you'r running the Enterprise (okay) or Standard
(requires Exchange Connector) version of Exchange server 5.0.

Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP