Internet client features

Post by Brando » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Anyone have a solution for authenticating to the Exchange server and
accessing mail/synchronizing forlder using the full featured Outlook client
(i.e. not OWA). 3rd party solutions ar anything at all. Thanks.

   brandon

Internet client features

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Anyone have a solution for authenticating to the Exchange server and
>accessing mail/synchronizing forlder using the full featured Outlook client
>(i.e. not OWA). 3rd party solutions ar anything at all. Thanks.

I use Outlook at home to access my mail via the internet almost daily.
In my case I do it via a VPN connection, but you can open ports on
your firewall to access the server via Outlook w/0 using VPN if
necessary. No 3rd party intervention required (other than access to
the internet via an ISP).

--
Chris Scharff
Senior Systems Consultant

Internet client features

Post by Brando » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for you response. One additional question: Without a VPN, would you
just open ports 25 & 110 and use the Internet Mail service as opposed to
Exchange Server service? That's the option I've been considering. Would you
need mail relay hosting enabled at this point?

> >Anyone have a solution for authenticating to the Exchange server and
> >accessing mail/synchronizing forlder using the full featured Outlook
client
> >(i.e. not OWA). 3rd party solutions ar anything at all. Thanks.

> I use Outlook at home to access my mail via the internet almost daily.
> In my case I do it via a VPN connection, but you can open ports on
> your firewall to access the server via Outlook w/0 using VPN if
> necessary. No 3rd party intervention required (other than access to
> the internet via an ISP).

> --
> Chris Scharff
> Senior Systems Consultant
> Simpler-Webb, Inc.
> http://www.swinc.com
> <ROT13 for SMTP address>

Internet client features

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks for you response. One additional question: Without a VPN, would you
>just open ports 25 & 110 and use the Internet Mail service as opposed to
>Exchange Server service? That's the option I've been considering. Would you
>need mail relay hosting enabled at this point?

You'd need to at least allow clients who successfully authenticate to
relay mail, and then have users use a client capable of authenticating
(outlook is one). But you lose access to the GAL using POP3 alone, so
I tend to prefer vpn.

--
Chris Scharff
Senior Systems Consultant

1. ExpressMail brings missing Internet features to Exchange client

[Posted to comp.os.ms-windows.apps.winsock.mail,
microsoft.public.exchange.clients ]

I have just installed ExpressMail, which initially I though was a new email
client for Win95.  It isn't, rather it provides, amongst other things, a
Internet mail service (POP3/SMTP) for MS Exchange (Messaging) client.

The good thing is that OpenSoft have included a number of things which MS
left out.  Such as automatically adding addresses to your address book,
Signatures and a MIME transport which isn't as brain dead as MS.  Oh it
also supports S/MIME.

OpenSoft are selling their product (and server) on the basis of S/MIME, but
after trying it, out it is worth installing for the improved Internet mail
service for Exchange.

http://www.opensoft.com/products/expressmail/

I'm not affiliated with OpenSoft, just someone who downloaded their
software and was impressed.

Mark

2. Org name vs fqdn name

3. Outlook Features over the internet??

4. Public Folder Move

5. INTERNET FEATURES OPTION

6. errors

7. Exchange client lost Fax feature

8. single site/multiple domain ?

9. Autosignature feature on Client PC goes away

10. New client features missing

11. Mac Client Feature Missing

12. Exchange Client and Power Saver Features

13. Needed Feature for Exchange Clients