How do I delete 2500+ Mailboxes

Post by Ethan Adle » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have to delete a lot of mailboxes.  What is the best (simplest, with "no"
possibility of problems - eg CPU utilization pegged, directory corruption,
etc) way to do this.  Someone here mentioned a csv file method, but didn't
have details.  I can do it several hundred at a time if it helps...

Thanks!

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q155/4/14.asp

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I have to delete a lot of mailboxes.  What is the best (simplest, with "no"
>possibility of problems - eg CPU utilization pegged, directory corruption,
>etc) way to do this.  Someone here mentioned a csv file method, but didn't
>have details.  I can do it several hundred at a time if it helps...

Export the directory to a CSV. Use {Access | Excel | Perl | AWK |
etc.} to remove what you don't want deleted from the directory. Add a
"Mode" column as the second column (Obj-Class will be the first one)
and fill it with the value "delete". Save the data as a CSV file and
use directory import and the CSV file to remove the mailboxes.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

How do I delete 2500+ Mailboxes

Post by Conal Tuoh » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Use Exchange Administrator's "directory import" procedure. This uses a
CSV file with all the mailboxes you want to delete. To delete a mailbox,
you "import" it with "delete" in the "mode" column of your CSV. You
could first export the mailboxes to CSV, then cut the CSV down to
include only the mailboxes you want to delete, add the "mode" column
with value "delete" for all rows, then re-import.

See the Exchange Admin help for detailed information.

Cheers

Con

PS Maybe mode should be "~del" - it's something like that anyway.

> ----------

> Posted At:         Thursday, 9 March 2000 07:10
> Posted To:         admin
> Conversation:      How do I delete 2500+ Mailboxes
> Subject:   How do I delete 2500+ Mailboxes

> I have to delete a lot of mailboxes.  What is the best (simplest, with
> "no"
> possibility of problems - eg CPU utilization pegged, directory
> corruption,
> etc) way to do this.  Someone here mentioned a csv file method, but
> didn't
> have details.  I can do it several hundred at a time if it helps...

> Thanks!

How do I delete 2500+ Mailboxes

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>PS Maybe mode should be "~del" - it's something like that anyway.

No, "delete" is correct. The "~del" is used to delete a property value
in an object. It's necessary because an "empty" value simply tells the
directory import to do nothing.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. vb Select * from tableA?How to select record from 1000 to 2500

[This followup was posted to microsoft.public.exchange.applications and
a copy was sent to the cited author.]

Tom,

I see that you posted this to a number of Exchange newsgroups.  Are you
having an issue specific to programming with Exchange, or is this a
generic VB/SQL question?  If it's just a generic question, I would
suggest posting this to microsoft.public.vb.database.

John Eddy
Exchange Forum Manager
rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

2. Service Pack for 5.5?

3. Spam Mail

4. Planning a server Exchange 5.5 for 2500 users

5. Email Blocking

6. automatically generating 2500 SMTP addresses

7. Events 2016 & 2017 ?

8. vb Select * from tableA?How to select record from 1000 to 2500

9. how to restore the contacts (2500 entries) from another HDD

10. 2500 user site - Missing mails

11. vb Select * from tableA?How to select record from 1000 to 2500

12. LDAPSVC error, Event ID 2500