Need help w/Outbound Exchange Newsfeed

Post by Darryl Robinso » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello, All.

I am having trouble getting Exchange to send outgoing messages to
existing USENET newsgroups. I created a newsfeed, downloaded a list of
newsgroups from my ISP's news server, used the Inbound tab of the
Newsfeed Properties dialog to create Newsgroup Folders corresponding to
several of these newsgroups, and included these folders in my Outbound
newsfeed (on the Outbound tab).

However, messages posted to these Newsgroup Folders from Exchange
clients aren't sent to the corresponding USENET newsgroup. The messages
appear locally in the Newsgroup Folder to which they are posted, but
they don't seem to be sent when Exchange makes its scheduled connection
to our ISP.

Any suggestions? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. If you could

helpful too.

Thanks,
Darryl R.

Robotica Automation Consultants, Inc. WWW: http://www.robotica-inc.com
25 Huntington Avenue, Suite 525-526   Phone: (617) 236-1993 x413
Boston, Massachusetts 02116 USA       Fax: (617) 236-1868

Need help w/Outbound Exchange Newsfeed

Post by Dustin Smith [MVP » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Darryl-
Your best bet is to enable some protocol logging on the newsfeed so you can
see if the articles are actually getting pushed to the upstream nntp server.
Are you seeing any kind of warnings/errors in the events logs from the
MSExchangeINS service?

Protocol logging can be enabled for NNTP using a registry setting.  When
this has been done, the Internet News Service will write protocol logs to
the \exchsrvr\insdata\log directory.
To enable logging, use the Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\
MsExchangeINS\ParametersSystem\ProtocolLoggingLevel to set the value to 0,
1, or 4 depending on whether no logging minimum logging, or maximum logging
is desired.  A logging level of 5 can also be used which will log all
conversation including the text of each posted message.
If required the logging location can be changed using the
NNTP_Protocol_LogPath registry entry in the same location as the logging
level entry.

- Dustin

Dustin Smith
Microsoft BackOffice MVP - Exchange

>Hello, All.

>I am having trouble getting Exchange to send outgoing messages to
>existing USENET newsgroups. I created a newsfeed, downloaded a list of
>newsgroups from my ISP's news server, used the Inbound tab of the
>Newsfeed Properties dialog to create Newsgroup Folders corresponding to
>several of these newsgroups, and included these folders in my Outbound
>newsfeed (on the Outbound tab).

>However, messages posted to these Newsgroup Folders from Exchange
>clients aren't sent to the corresponding USENET newsgroup. The messages
>appear locally in the Newsgroup Folder to which they are posted, but
>they don't seem to be sent when Exchange makes its scheduled connection
>to our ISP.

>Any suggestions? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. If you could

>helpful too.

>Thanks,
>Darryl R.

>Robotica Automation Consultants, Inc. WWW: http://www.robotica-inc.com
>25 Huntington Avenue, Suite 525-526   Phone: (617) 236-1993 x413
>Boston, Massachusetts 02116 USA       Fax: (617) 236-1868

1. Need help w/Outbound Exchange Newsfeed

[...]

2. Virus Please help

3. multiple outlook users on a machine with a single logon

4. NEED HELP ASAP --- Outbound messages waiting delivery --- NEED HELP ASAP

5. Exchange Server Unavailable

6. Newbie in need of help setting up a newsfeed

7. Removing first Exchange server in site

8. Need Help Locating a Pull Newsfeed Service

9. Setting Outbound newsfeed port in Exchange 5.5

10. Switching ISP's need help on outbound mail

11. Need help restricting outbound SMTP messages

12. Need Help: Outbound mail failed....