Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

Post by Joe Keega » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:17:34

Sounds strange, but I haven't been able to do this.  Can anyone help?

I'm doing disaster recovery testing, and in order to test procedures
for database repair (ESEUTIL, ISINTEG), I need to intentionally DAMAGE
an Exchange database.

Here's what I've done so far:

1.  Delete all log files
2.  Stop info store
3.  Wrote the following batch file and let it run for 15 minutes:
        :begin
        echo awefawefwefwefwe4fwefwefwefwef >> priv1.edb
        goto begin
        :end

I thought for sure that this would cause damage, but it hasn't.  I
can't damage this database!  If anyone can give me some hints on how
to BREAK e2K, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Joe Keegan
MCP, MCSE, CCNA

Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:06:33

Quote:>Sounds strange, but I haven't been able to do this.  Can anyone help?

>I'm doing disaster recovery testing, and in order to test procedures
>for database repair (ESEUTIL, ISINTEG), I need to intentionally DAMAGE
>an Exchange database.

>Here's what I've done so far:

>1.  Delete all log files
>2.  Stop info store
>3.  Wrote the following batch file and let it run for 15 minutes:
>    :begin
>    echo awefawefwefwefwe4fwefwefwefwef >> priv1.edb
>    goto begin
>    :end

>I thought for sure that this would cause damage, but it hasn't.  I
>can't damage this database!  If anyone can give me some hints on how
>to BREAK e2K, I'd appreciate it.

del *.stm and del *.edb work pretty good at damaging databases. You
can run the utilities you mention against a non damaged database and
glean as much useful information as you could from an intentionally
damaged one IMO. There are a number of possible ways a database could
be damaged and it's really not possible to test them all. So being
familiar with the tools and having run the command line parameters is
probably as useful as one can get.

--
Chris Scharff MVP-Exchange, MCSE
The Mail Resource Center

Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:54:37

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>I thought for sure that this would cause damage, but it hasn't.  I
>can't damage this database!  If anyone can give me some hints on how
>to BREAK e2K, I'd appreciate it.

Open the file with wordpad and paste a .gif into the file. Don't
reformat the file when you save it.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Disaster Recovery: Need to intentionally CAUSE damage to an E2K database

Sounds strange, but I haven't been able to do this.  Can anyone help?

I'm doing disaster recovery testing, and in order to test procedures
for database repair (ESEUTIL, ISINTEG), I need to intentionally DAMAGE
an Exchange database.

Here's what I've done so far:

1.  Delete all log files
2.  Stop info store
3.  Wrote the following batch file and let it run for 15 minutes:
        :begin
        echo awefawefwefwefwe4fwefwefwefwef >> priv1.edb
        goto begin
        :end

I thought for sure that this would cause damage, but it hasn't.  I
can't damage this database!  If anyone can give me some hints on how
to BREAK e2K, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
-Joe Keegan
MCP, MCSE, CCNA

2. Mail Essentials

3. Disaster Recovery : Need to INTENTIONALLY cause damage to an E2K database

4. Here it is! Exchange Admin FAQ, v1.0 - Also available at http://www.eicorp.net/exchangefaq/

5. Exchange 2000 Disaster Recovery Test

6. Organisation change

7. Disaster recovery test.

8. tls outbound security: smtp virtual server vs. smtp connector

9. How Do I Test Disaster Recovery of Exch 5.5

10. Disaster Recovery Test

11. E2K Test/Disaster Recovery Server Setup

12. Disaster Recovery Plan Needed

13. Urgent help needed - disaster recovery issue