Distribution Lists: Is there a fix or solution for undeliverables due to large lists

Post by tafenne » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

My supervisor is attempting to create a very large distribution list (over
200 addresses) that he has imported from a Microsoft Access database.  The
import from Access seemed to be fine.  All  of the info imported is just
customers names and email addresses.  However, after they are added into a
list, when we attempted to send a small text only message, using this
distribution list (which we placed into the blind copy field (BCC:) instead
of the TO: or CC: fields), we receive all the email messages back with the
following error:

Subject: Undeliverable: IPC Instant News

      Subject: IPC Instant News
      Sent: 1/28/00 5:54 PM

      <Name of customer and Email address here> on 1/30/00 5:54 PM
            One or more mandatory argument(s) were missing from the
recipient
 The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
;p=IPC;l=IPCMAIL-000128235338Z-542
            MSEXCH:IMS:IPC:Madison:IPCMAIL 3221 (000B099C) 221 Closing
connection

So we cut up the large group into four seperate smaller groups and it was
able to send.  We have double checked to make sure that the email addresses
are good, and that there has been not size limits set on sending or
receiving.

Is there any kind of fix or setting that is out there in TV land?  Please
anybody, let me know as quickly as possible.  Thanks in advance for any and
all of your help!

Distribution Lists: Is there a fix or solution for undeliverables due to large lists

Post by Chris Scharf » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>My supervisor is attempting to create a very large distribution list (over
>200 addresses) that he has imported from a Microsoft Access database.  The
>import from Access seemed to be fine.  All  of the info imported is just
>customers names and email addresses.  However, after they are added into a
>list, when we attempted to send a small text only message, using this
>distribution list (which we placed into the blind copy field (BCC:) instead
>of the TO: or CC: fields), we receive all the email messages back with the
>following error:

Could be that a relay server (firewall or ISP) has a limit on max
number of recipients in a message.

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange MVP

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Distribution Lists: Is there a fix or solution for undeliverables due to large lists

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>>The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

>>      <Name of customer and Email address here> on 1/30/00 5:54 PM
>>            One or more mandatory argument(s) were missing from the
>>recipient
>> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
>>;p=IPC;l=IPCMAIL-000128235338Z-542
>>            MSEXCH:IMS:IPC:Madison:IPCMAIL 3221 (000B099C) 221 Closing
>>connection

That's a pretty odd way to signal an error! "221 Closing connection"?

Quote:>>So we cut up the large group into four seperate smaller groups and it was
>>able to send.  We have double checked to make sure that the email addresses
>>are good, and that there has been not size limits set on sending or
>>receiving.

>>Is there any kind of fix or setting that is out there in TV land?  Please
>>anybody, let me know as quickly as possible.  Thanks in advance for any and
>>all of your help!

>Could be that a relay server (firewall or ISP) has a limit on max
>number of recipients in a message.

Good point. Try this modification to the registry:

Q196818 "XFOR: How to Limit Recipients on Outbound SMTP Messages"
Q200389 "XIMS: How To Limit the Number of Recipients in a Message"

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Undeliverables when sending to a distribution list

Can someone help with this issue:

Have an Exchange 5.5 org with several sites. All sites connected to
main site with a X400 site connector. When a person at a site sends a
message to a distribution list some or all the recipients do not get
the message . User receives the following inf.

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recepients" "
"the following recipients could not be reached because of a
communication error"

This message is followed by the name of the unreachable person and
date and time.
finally a last message " The following recipients could not be reached
because of a communication error".

This problem is intermittent, any help on this subject would be
greatly appreciated

2. Dual processors?

3. Adding large list of people to distribution list?

4. Active Directory Connector

5. Creating Large Distribution Lists

6. Help with Shared Office Files in Public Folders

7. Exporting a LARGE Distribution List

8. Service Error Codes

9. Emails with large distribution list

10. Exchange and LARGE distribution lists

11. Creating Large Distribution Lists

12. Large distribution lists

13. Emails with large distribution list