Synchronizing through a satellite connection?

Synchronizing through a satellite connection?

Post by Jeff Merric » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone had any experience trying to sych Outlook with VPN through Satcom
via laptop?  I have two individuals that went ahead a bought the technology
for their laptops, but cant keep a signal strong enough to complete a
synchronization.  It is my opinion that the level of throughput is too much
for the VPN over Satcom.  A simple website, no problem, MS
encryption/authentication, I don't think the Satellite can remain steady or
strong enough to handle it.  If anyone has any information on this, I would
very much appreciate it.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Has anyone had any experience trying to sych Outlook with VPN through Satcom
>via laptop?  I have two individuals that went ahead a bought the technology
>for their laptops, but cant keep a signal strong enough to complete a
>synchronization.  It is my opinion that the level of throughput is too much
>for the VPN over Satcom.

It isn't the volume of the traffic that's a problem, it's the
excessive delays between packets. Using OST files requires a
connection using RPC's and they are very sensitive to errors.

Have them modify the registry to reduce the MTU size to 576. Smaller
packets are less likely to contain errors or to be retried.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Remote connection issues uing satellite

Iam having problems with a remote user not being able to
connect to Exchange since the installation of a satellite
link. I am aware of the fact that there is a large problem
with latency when using satellite, but this is the only
cost effective way to provide high (higher than dial-up)
speed to this remote user.

What I was wondering is: Is the a way to lengthen the time
out in Exchange

Thank you in advance.

2. Client Permissions to install scripts

3. Satellite connection and exchange

4. Removing last 5.5 server

5. Satellite Connections andExchange Server

6. can't start mailbox store (after restore)

7. Trouble Synchronizing over a VPN Connection

8. HELP with MODERATED FOLDERS!!??!!

9. Synchronizing over low speed connections

10. Synchronize offline folders through dial up internet connection?

11. Unable to send email to satellite office

12. Connecting Satellite Exchange Servers

13. Exchange Server to Satellite to Exchange Server