Proper permissions to modify the user's mailbox

Proper permissions to modify the user's mailbox

Post by Bernard Je » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:47:36

Is there a way to give a user permission to ONLY modify the general tab of
the mailbox properties? (such as Title, Department and Phone)

Thanks.

Proper permissions to modify the user's mailbox

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 22:43:26

Not unless you give them admin rights to recipient container(s), and enough
rights to the org to allow them to open the server with the admin program.

Otherwise, you need the GALMOD programs which are included in BORK.  Even
then by default, they could only change user attributes.  You would need to
redefine which attributes are user modifiable and which ones are admin
modifiable, using the admin program in raw mode.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator

Quote:> Is there a way to give a user permission to ONLY modify the general tab of
> the mailbox properties? (such as Title, Department and Phone)

> Thanks.

Proper permissions to modify the user's mailbox

Post by Bernard Je » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 23:06:08

Thanks for your reply, but what is GALMOD and what is BORK.

> Not unless you give them admin rights to recipient container(s), and
enough
> rights to the org to allow them to open the server with the admin program.

> Otherwise, you need the GALMOD programs which are included in BORK.  Even
> then by default, they could only change user attributes.  You would need
> redefine which attributes are user modifiable and which ones are admin
> modifiable, using the admin program in raw mode.

> --
> Michael Abbaticchio
> Exchange Administrator
> http://www.abbaticc.com

> > Is there a way to give a user permission to ONLY modify the general tab
of
> > the mailbox properties? (such as Title, Department and Phone)

> > Thanks.

Proper permissions to modify the user's mailbox

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 23:15:05

    galmod32.exe or galmodca.exe   BORK is the back office resource kit.

--
Michael Abbaticchio
Exchange Administrator

> Thanks for your reply, but what is GALMOD and what is BORK.

> > Not unless you give them admin rights to recipient container(s), and
> enough
> > rights to the org to allow them to open the server with the admin
program.

> > Otherwise, you need the GALMOD programs which are included in BORK.
Even
> > then by default, they could only change user attributes.  You would need
> > redefine which attributes are user modifiable and which ones are admin
> > modifiable, using the admin program in raw mode.

> > --
> > Michael Abbaticchio
> > Exchange Administrator
> > http://www.abbaticc.com

> > > Is there a way to give a user permission to ONLY modify the general
tab
> of
> > > the mailbox properties? (such as Title, Department and Phone)

> > > Thanks.

1. User still can't get into mailbox with user permissions

I gave the user's secretary "user permissions" in Exchange Admin.  I then
added the mailbox in the Advanced tab of MS Exchange properties.  When the
secretary tries to open or expand the user's mailbox, it says "Unable to
expand the folders.  The set of folders could not be opened.  The operation
failed".

I've done this before and that's all I had to do for the secretaries to have
their boss's mailbox in their Outlook 2000.  What am I doing wrong?  I'm
running Exchange 5.5.

TIA,
Oliver

2. OWA stopped working - reports the item could not be found deleted

3. Can user's modify their mailbox properties?

4. comparison between Exchange and oracle interoffice

5. Can't open other user's mailboxes with inherited permissions

6. Help me..My Exchange is trying to tell me something....

7. Proper way to give a user Send As permission

8. Exchange client on Citrix server

9. what's the proper way of deleting a user

10. Mysterious permissions on users' mailboxes

11. Setting permissions to access other user's mailbox in E2K

12. deleted user don't disappear from mailbox permissions (DS/IS consistency)

13. How do I allow a user to modify exchange items of another mailbox user