Stopping Exchange Server 5.0 from being an SMTP relay

Stopping Exchange Server 5.0 from being an SMTP relay

Post by Phil Barret » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

I've been reading all about how you stop exchange 5.5 IMC from acting as an
open mail relay and allowing spammers to use your host to send spam.

www.nvt.net/antispam.html

I configured by exchange *5.0* service as outlined in the above documents.
But it made no difference.  I take it that 5.0 doesn't allow me to control
how SMTP messages are accepted/rejected.

Or is there a way to configure 5.0 to do this also?  Or am I being very
silly?

--Phil Barrett--
Technical Manager
Lastminute.com

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 05 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>Hi.

>I've been reading all about how you stop exchange 5.5 IMC from acting as an
>open mail relay and allowing spammers to use your host to send spam.

>www.nvt.net/antispam.html

>I configured by exchange *5.0* service as outlined in the above documents.
>But it made no difference.  I take it that 5.0 doesn't allow me to control
>how SMTP messages are accepted/rejected.

>Or is there a way to configure 5.0 to do this also?  Or am I being very
>silly?

Exchange 5.0 has an "all or nothing" approach to SMTP relay. Turn off
the ability to relay on the IMS property page, on the "Routing" tab.
That prevents any SMTP messages being relayed. All messages arriving
at your server will be delivered locally or NDR'd.

If you have POP3 useres and you don't allow SMTP relays you have
effectively limited them to sending messages only to users on your
Exchange server(s). If they want to use their POP3 clients they'll
have to find another SMTP server to use.