help securing port 25 relay but supporting POP clients

help securing port 25 relay but supporting POP clients

Post by Terrel » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:02:00

I had some concerns earlier this morning and have a better understanding.
Here is my senario. My routing settings in xchange5.5 were to support
relaying (for POP support). The domain was set as "mail sent to"  xxx.com
routed to <inbound>. No other restrictions were in place so I used telnet to
send some junk emails. This is not good...
So I fixed this but then my POP clients failed. How can I prevent relaying
but support POP clients who access their Exchange boxes from the field via
the internet? (Using Exchange POP3 feature)
Thanks

help securing port 25 relay but supporting POP clients

How you "fixed" that?

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

help securing port 25 relay but supporting POP clients

Post by OGUZHAN KAYHA » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 18:10:24

I solved it like...I let using pop3 from my IP block.But if smbdy tries to
send mail thru my server he has to enable auth. in utgoing messages in
client settings.
I think this is the best way to stop spamming..

(But I'm still have troubles with other mail server intermail kx..If there's
smbody who knows about kx pls send me an email..)

Quote:> I had some concerns earlier this morning and have a better understanding.
> Here is my senario. My routing settings in xchange5.5 were to support
> relaying (for POP support). The domain was set as "mail sent to"  xxx.com
> routed to <inbound>. No other restrictions were in place so I used telnet
> send some junk emails. This is not good...
> So I fixed this but then my POP clients failed. How can I prevent relaying
> but support POP clients who access their Exchange boxes from the field via
> the internet? (Using Exchange POP3 feature)
> Thanks

1. Mail relay from port 17 to port 25

I need to construct some type of relay server that will receive SMTP
requests on port 17 (or any port other than 25) and relay mail to my current
Exchange Server host on port 25 for processing.

I was thinking of building another Exchange server that is to set up as a
mail relay that accepts SMTP requests on port 17 and relays them to another
mail server on port 25.  But how can I configure Exchange to do this?  If I
change the SMTP port in the services file, then it will receive and relay on
17 which is not acceptable.

Basically, how do I execute a port switching relay?

            ---Steve

2. install LDAP service in exchange 2000?

3. Exchange Services Terminated Unexpectedly

4. Message blocking

5. What is best way to SECURE Port 25?

6. Desperately seeking "message store" - HELP!

7. unable to relay; port 25 close error

8. open relay port 25...close how?

9. telnet to port 25 fails on server, not on clients

10. Listen on port 26 for any incoming SMTP connections and sending mail SMTP on port 25

11. Port 25 and Port 280