Exchange uses "From" address instead of "Reply To" address when auto-replying

Exchange uses "From" address instead of "Reply To" address when auto-replying

Post by Serge Matsevil » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I am trying to set an auto-reply rule with a template for all incoming
messages in a public folder on Exchange 5.0 SP2.  These messages come from
the FrontPage Form Save Result Component that sends an Internet SMPT e-mail
message with the form results.

The From address in e-mail message is always the Internet User NT Account,

To" address as a field of the form, and it does it correctly.

When this messages come to the public folder it automatically REPLIES to
this message using the "From" address instead of "Reply To" address.

This behavior is the same for both the client and the server side rules.

However, Microsoft's Tech Support articles clearly indicate that the correct
logic should use the "Reply To" address for replies first, then the "From"
address if the "Reply To" address is empty.

B.T.W. If I try to manually reply to this message, then it uses the "Reply
To" address first as expected.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Exchange uses "From" address instead of "Reply To" address when auto-replying

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

<snippetry>

>When this messages come to the public folder it automatically REPLIES to
>this message using the "From" address instead of "Reply To" address.

>This behavior is the same for both the client and the server side rules.

>However, Microsoft's Tech Support articles clearly indicate that the correct
>logic should use the "Reply To" address for replies first, then the "From"
>address if the "Reply To" address is empty.

>B.T.W. If I try to manually reply to this message, then it uses the "Reply
>To" address first as expected.

>Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think ALL automated replies go either to the "from" address or get
bounced back the path. That's so automated mailing systems can respond
and bounce something back where it came from, and is standard across
most mail systems, not only Exchange.

That's the "what's happening", whether all automated responses _should_
go to the "from" address is another matter ...
Trousers with a single hole in their waistband are topologically equivalent
to a doughnut. These sugarcoated trousers have yet to catch on at fast-food
outlets! (SuperStrings by F. David Peat)

If replying by e-mail please mail wol. Anything else may get missed amongst
the spam.

1. Please Help""""""""""""""

Dear All

Could you tell me if any problems reported on Exchange 5.5 with SP4 on
Windows2000 Server and analogue connection (DUN)

The reason of this question because since I upgraded exchange 5.5 sp3 to 4
my e-mails stock in the queue for very very long time or not delivered at
all.

2. Free Text Searching of GAL

3. ""Exchange in Win98 ?????""

4. Size limits... What are the benefits?

5. """"Microsoft Fax options""""

6. global address list problems

7. Using "Windows Address Book" with Exchange

8. 5.5 to 2K email recieving problem

9. Different "Reply to " addresses