questions on internet email relay, spam, ex2k server

questions on internet email relay, spam, ex2k server

Post by chri » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:52:34

i'm a beginner admin at a small company and it turns out that we have been
used by a third party to relay spam. unfortunately i've been recently
inundated with a ton of information on security and patches and service
packs and virus's and hackers/crackers and i'm getting a little lost. what
should i do to remedy this? i've found one thing at www.wsd2d.com in an
article entitled "Prevent your server from acting as relay station for junk
e-mail" that says to add an entry in the registry like this...

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameter
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
value:
Value Name: RejectEncapsulation
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Radix: Decimal
Value: 1
4. Quit Registry Editor.

i doubt this is the only thing that needs to be done.

we had an outside guy setup our new win2k servers so i don't know if sp1
(for ex2k server) is installed yet or not. is there an sp2 that i should be
looking for?

any and all help is appreciated. thanks.
chris.

questions on internet email relay, spam, ex2k server

Post by nntp.mindspring.co » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:19:27

Just go to maps.org, they are the authority on this.  You have to turn off
open relay.  Do you use exch 2000 or 5.x?

Quote:> i'm a beginner admin at a small company and it turns out that we have been
> used by a third party to relay spam. unfortunately i've been recently
> inundated with a ton of information on security and patches and service
> packs and virus's and hackers/crackers and i'm getting a little lost. what
> should i do to remedy this? i've found one thing at www.wsd2d.com in an
> article entitled "Prevent your server from acting as relay station for
junk
> e-mail" that says to add an entry in the registry like this...

> 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> 2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameter
Quote:> s
> 3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
> value:
> Value Name: RejectEncapsulation
> Data Type: REG_DWORD
> Radix: Decimal
> Value: 1
> 4. Quit Registry Editor.

> i doubt this is the only thing that needs to be done.

> we had an outside guy setup our new win2k servers so i don't know if sp1
> (for ex2k server) is installed yet or not. is there an sp2 that i should
be
> looking for?

> any and all help is appreciated. thanks.
> chris.

questions on internet email relay, spam, ex2k server

Post by Quintus Marai » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 22:41:51

Hi

I recently had the same experience.  To stop this from happening, you do the
following:
Open exchange system manager.
Navigate to Administrative Groups/your administrative
group/yourserver/protocols/SMTP/yourvirtualsmtpserver
open properties
click on the access tab.
click on the relay button.
select "only the list below" option.
make sure the list below is empty.
select "allow computers that successfully authenticate to relay" to enable
internal users to send out e-mail.

I am not an expert on this but this was what I was told to do and it did
stop the spamming from working. (The organisation that reported this problem
to me tested the server afterwards and the problem was solved)

Good luck and may the fleas of a thousand camels find a new home in the
armpits of the spammer.

Quote:> i'm a beginner admin at a small company and it turns out that we have been
> used by a third party to relay spam. unfortunately i've been recently
> inundated with a ton of information on security and patches and service
> packs and virus's and hackers/crackers and i'm getting a little lost. what
> should i do to remedy this? i've found one thing at www.wsd2d.com in an
> article entitled "Prevent your server from acting as relay station for
junk
> e-mail" that says to add an entry in the registry like this...

> 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> 2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameter
Quote:> s
> 3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry
> value:
> Value Name: RejectEncapsulation
> Data Type: REG_DWORD
> Radix: Decimal
> Value: 1
> 4. Quit Registry Editor.

> i doubt this is the only thing that needs to be done.

> we had an outside guy setup our new win2k servers so i don't know if sp1
> (for ex2k server) is installed yet or not. is there an sp2 that i should
be
> looking for?

> any and all help is appreciated. thanks.
> chris.

questions on internet email relay, spam, ex2k server

Post by chri » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:50:05

wow. i didn't even realize that anyone had responded to this thread. i even
have it marked in red.

but for what it's worth it's 2k.

chris.

> Just go to maps.org, they are the authority on this.  You have to turn off
> open relay.  Do you use exch 2000 or 5.x?

> > i'm a beginner admin at a small company and it turns out that we have
been
> > used by a third party to relay spam. unfortunately i've been recently
> > inundated with a ton of information on security and patches and service
> > packs and virus's and hackers/crackers and i'm getting a little lost.
what
> > should i do to remedy this? i've found one thing at www.wsd2d.com in an
> > article entitled "Prevent your server from acting as relay station for
> junk
> > e-mail" that says to add an entry in the registry like this...

> > 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> > 2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameter

Quote:> > s
> > 3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
registry
> > value:
> > Value Name: RejectEncapsulation
> > Data Type: REG_DWORD
> > Radix: Decimal
> > Value: 1
> > 4. Quit Registry Editor.

> > i doubt this is the only thing that needs to be done.

> > we had an outside guy setup our new win2k servers so i don't know if sp1
> > (for ex2k server) is installed yet or not. is there an sp2 that i should
> be
> > looking for?

> > any and all help is appreciated. thanks.
> > chris.

questions on internet email relay, spam, ex2k server

Post by chri » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:53:11

maps.org is a psychadelic psychiatry website. are you sure that's right
one?!

> Just go to maps.org, they are the authority on this.  You have to turn off
> open relay.  Do you use exch 2000 or 5.x?

> > i'm a beginner admin at a small company and it turns out that we have
been
> > used by a third party to relay spam. unfortunately i've been recently
> > inundated with a ton of information on security and patches and service
> > packs and virus's and hackers/crackers and i'm getting a little lost.
what
> > should i do to remedy this? i've found one thing at www.wsd2d.com in an
> > article entitled "Prevent your server from acting as relay station for
> junk
> > e-mail" that says to add an entry in the registry like this...

> > 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
> > 2. Locate the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIMC\Parameter

Quote:> > s
> > 3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
registry
> > value:
> > Value Name: RejectEncapsulation
> > Data Type: REG_DWORD
> > Radix: Decimal
> > Value: 1
> > 4. Quit Registry Editor.

> > i doubt this is the only thing that needs to be done.

> > we had an outside guy setup our new win2k servers so i don't know if sp1
> > (for ex2k server) is installed yet or not. is there an sp2 that i should
> be
> > looking for?

> > any and all help is appreciated. thanks.
> > chris.

1. Relay Question - Junk Email and Spam

    Hello all!

    I have a quick question:
   I was faced with a task to configure Exchange server with IMS and make
sure that we are not opened for email relays.
   The way we are setup right now is we have a firewall that has port
forwarding setup to forward all SMTP traffic to an internal IP
   address.
   We also have a valid Internet MX record pointing to our DSL pipeline
router.
   The dilemma is that we cant deny relaying based on IP address or a domain
for that matter since we need to be able to receive
    email from anyone on the Internet.
 We would like to be able to only receive email destined to our domain and
be able to send it to anyone we would like. Is there a way to do that with
Exchange 5.5?

Thank you very much

2. How do I move ALL info from Exchange4.0 to 5.5?

3. SMTP Vitrual Server---Relay question ( SPAM )

4. ccmail connector Problem

5. Diabling my email server to act as a relay for spam

6. masqurade

7. EX2K to EX2K SMTP Relay

8. Reply Message

9. SMTP Relay Spam Prevention Question