LDAP - How to search Directory for SMTP addresses?

LDAP - How to search Directory for SMTP addresses?

Post by Mike Lutg » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Most of our users have 3 or more SMTP addresses.  I often get the message
"This e-mail address already exists in this organization"  when trying to
assign an address.   How can I search the LDAP directory to find these
addresses?
Thanks
Mike Lutge

LDAP - How to search Directory for SMTP addresses?

Post by Step » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

If you have an Outlook Client connected to the Exchange Server,  you can
compose a new message, in the 'To' field type in the SMTP address you are
having the problems with.  Click on the Check Names button, and it will
resolve it to the Exchange Display name (unless the object is hidden) which
makes it much easier to find.

Regards,

Stephen.

>Most of our users have 3 or more SMTP addresses.  I often get the message
>"This e-mail address already exists in this organization"  when trying to
>assign an address.   How can I search the LDAP directory to find these
>addresses?
>Thanks
>Mike Lutge

LDAP - How to search Directory for SMTP addresses?

Post by Mike Lutg » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the feedback, that solves my immediate problem.  However, we
would also like a way to programmatically search for SMTP addresses.  We
have been using ADSI and Visual Basic to query the LDAP directory.  The
property that we are interested in is the organizationalPerson.otherMailbox.
This property can be either single or multivalued depending on how many SMTP
addresses a person has.  Our dilemma comes in trying to figure out if the
property for a certain mailbox is single or multivalued during our search
routine.  The obvious things to try like otherMailbox.Count,
otherMailbox.Index, or otherMailbox(1) haven't provided the answer.  Any
help would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Mike

>Mike,

>If you have an Outlook Client connected to the Exchange Server,  you can
>compose a new message, in the 'To' field type in the SMTP address you are
>having the problems with.  Click on the Check Names button, and it will
>resolve it to the Exchange Display name (unless the object is hidden) which
>makes it much easier to find.

1. LDAP for Directory Search?

We are looking for an alternative to our current directory for e-mail
addresses. It needs to be one that is accessible to people outside of our
organization. Since we are likely going to convert the whole enterprise to
Exchange 5.5 Enterprise, LDAP seems like a good solution. Has anyone done
much with this to make it available from outside their organization?

From the looks of it, I thought it would be simple. I tried configuring a
new directory service account. I entered in the server's FQDN, and my
username and password. Then I tried Start|Find|People, and selected my new
directory service. That service returned the response "The specified
directory service has denied access..." I proceeded to try logging in as
domain/username. Again I received the same response. I had left the default
value for the port number in the exchange server as well as my directory
service properties. The protocol is enabled, and everything else regarding
it is configured as default. Does anything else need to be configured to
enable LDAP to work this way? Should I be able to use (telnet [servers IP
address] 389) and get a response the same way that the port for SMTP
responds? When I try, the telnet session times out. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

2. Where is IMS Wizard???

3. OutlookXP search at Directory Service-(Ldap)

4. Outlook Web Access Denied

5. LDAP Directory search

6. Outlook on a box not in the Domain

7. Address Lists Custom Search LDAP Base object

8. MAil to everyone

9. Address List custom search using LDAP filter

10. Address List using LDAP custom search?

11. CdoPR_EMAIL_ADDRESS displays LDAP style address ! smtp address

12. "Company LDAP Directory" in address book

13. Change permissions on LDAP directory using LDAP client v3