routing email through EX2000

routing email through EX2000

Post by Mart » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:08:54



We are migrating from EX5.5 to Exchange 2000.  We
currently have some users on each box.  All outgoing SMTP
email is still routing through the EX5.5 box.  

Q1)  How can I make Ex2000 send direcly out to the
Internet for locally homed users while still allowing
EX5.5 handle its own locally home users.

Q2) How can I make all mail route though the EX2000 box
instead of EX5.5?

 
 
 

routing email through EX2000

Post by Neil Hobso » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:20:20


Configure an SMTP Connector on the E2k server, and assign it an address
space of '*' with a cost of 1.  Then raise the cost of the address space on
the Exchange 5.5 IMS to something higher than 1.  Wait for replication to
happen (or force it through if you like) and then confirm that all Internet
mail is being sent via the E2k server.  You can configure protocol logging
on the SMTP virtual server and examine the logs for proof of this.

One question though. I assume the 5.5 server will go eventually, so why
bother with Q1 below?

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk


Quote:> We are migrating from EX5.5 to Exchange 2000.  We
> currently have some users on each box.  All outgoing SMTP
> email is still routing through the EX5.5 box.

> Q1)  How can I make Ex2000 send direcly out to the
> Internet for locally homed users while still allowing
> EX5.5 handle its own locally home users.

> Q2) How can I make all mail route though the EX2000 box
> instead of EX5.5?


 
 
 

routing email through EX2000

Post by Mart » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:39:03


The only real reason is redundancy and load balancing.  
After everyone is on EX2000 the 5.5 server is going to be
loaded with EX2000 and will support half of our users. If
I leave the costs the same will I recieve the desired
effect? Thanks for the answer.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Configure an SMTP Connector on the E2k server, and assign
it an address
>space of '*' with a cost of 1.  Then raise the cost of

the address space on
>the Exchange 5.5 IMS to something higher than 1.  Wait
for replication to
>happen (or force it through if you like) and then confirm
that all Internet
>mail is being sent via the E2k server.  You can configure
protocol logging
>on the SMTP virtual server and examine the logs for proof
of this.

>One question though. I assume the 5.5 server will go
eventually, so why
>bother with Q1 below?

>--
>Neil Hobson
>Silversands

>http://www.silversands.co.uk



>> We are migrating from EX5.5 to Exchange 2000.  We
>> currently have some users on each box.  All outgoing
SMTP
>> email is still routing through the EX5.5 box.

>> Q1)  How can I make Ex2000 send direcly out to the
>> Internet for locally homed users while still allowing
>> EX5.5 handle its own locally home users.

>> Q2) How can I make all mail route though the EX2000 box
>> instead of EX5.5?

>.

 
 
 

routing email through EX2000

Post by Neil Hobso » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:45:18


With 2 x E2k servers, I think so.  The 5.5 IMS isn't the best thing in the
world for redundancy, though.

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk


> The only real reason is redundancy and load balancing.
> After everyone is on EX2000 the 5.5 server is going to be
> loaded with EX2000 and will support half of our users. If
> I leave the costs the same will I recieve the desired
> effect? Thanks for the answer.

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Configure an SMTP Connector on the E2k server, and assign
> it an address
> >space of '*' with a cost of 1.  Then raise the cost of
> the address space on
> >the Exchange 5.5 IMS to something higher than 1.  Wait
> for replication to
> >happen (or force it through if you like) and then confirm
> that all Internet
> >mail is being sent via the E2k server.  You can configure
> protocol logging
> >on the SMTP virtual server and examine the logs for proof
> of this.

> >One question though. I assume the 5.5 server will go
> eventually, so why
> >bother with Q1 below?

> >--
> >Neil Hobson
> >Silversands

> >http://www.silversands.co.uk



> >> We are migrating from EX5.5 to Exchange 2000.  We
> >> currently have some users on each box.  All outgoing
> SMTP
> >> email is still routing through the EX5.5 box.

> >> Q1)  How can I make Ex2000 send direcly out to the
> >> Internet for locally homed users while still allowing
> >> EX5.5 handle its own locally home users.

> >> Q2) How can I make all mail route though the EX2000 box
> >> instead of EX5.5?

> >.

 
 
 

1. MIgrating Ex2000 --> Ex2000

I've been looking for the doc on how to do this for some time.

I have two Exchange servers one of which is being retired. I'm fine on
moving mailboxes to the new machine, not so fine on rehoming the
public folders, and pretty hazy on the rest. I'm sure that I've seen a
document that lays out the steps to move from one Ex2000 to Ex2000,
but all I've found in my searches are ones that talk about moving from
Ex5.5 to Ex2000!!

Has anyone got the URL??

Cheers,

Cliff
--  

Redbaiter: I just dislike loud mouthed self important pretentiousness.

2. Where do I find the Exchange Server SDK. Thanks.

3. Moving from Ex2000 server to a new Ex2000 server

4. Strong problem with the Recipient Update Service (RUS)

5. EX2000 to EX2000

6. broken items in deleted items.

7. Bug in Ex2000 (Sendmail and Ex2000)

8. Statistics of MS Exchange

9. Moving mail from one EX2000 server to another EX2000 server

10. Ex2000 to Ex2000 migration help

11. Ex2000 -> Ex2000 rehome

12. EX2000 to EX2000 Migration Issues