Moving Exchange 2000 to a different server in the same site

Moving Exchange 2000 to a different server in the same site

Post by ann » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 01:46:02

Hello -

I am unable to find anything specific for what we are
trying to accomplish and each of my collegues seems to
have a different opinion on approach.  We have an SBS 2000
server running Exchange 2000.  We have introduced a second
server to the domain running Windows 2000 and we have
installed Exchange 2000.  We would like to move all of
Exchange off of the SBS server onto the new server and
then remove Exchange from the SBS server.  I have found a
number of articles on moving/migrating mailboxes from 5.5
to 2000, but not a straight move from 2000 to 2000, same
domain, same site.  I looked at the move mailbox wizard
under Exchange Tasks from a user's mailbox in Active
Directory, but that only covers off mailboxes and it seems
like only half the story.  I read article 281584, XGEN:
Exchange Tools for Migration, but none of the tools listed
applied to our situation.

We really need a step-by-step, but are unable to locate
one.  Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
Ann

Moving Exchange 2000 to a different server in the same site

Post by Isaac Carter [MSFT » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 02:20:34

Hello Ann,

It sounds like all you need to do after moving the mailboxes to the new
server is follow the steps in this KnowledgeBase article:

307917 XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange 2000 Server Computer from the
Site
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307917

--
Isaac B. Carter MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

Quote:> Hello -

> I am unable to find anything specific for what we are
> trying to accomplish and each of my collegues seems to
> have a different opinion on approach.  We have an SBS 2000
> server running Exchange 2000.  We have introduced a second
> server to the domain running Windows 2000 and we have
> installed Exchange 2000.  We would like to move all of
> Exchange off of the SBS server onto the new server and
> then remove Exchange from the SBS server.  I have found a
> number of articles on moving/migrating mailboxes from 5.5
> to 2000, but not a straight move from 2000 to 2000, same
> domain, same site.  I looked at the move mailbox wizard
> under Exchange Tasks from a user's mailbox in Active
> Directory, but that only covers off mailboxes and it seems
> like only half the story.  I read article 281584, XGEN:
> Exchange Tools for Migration, but none of the tools listed
> applied to our situation.

> We really need a step-by-step, but are unable to locate
> one.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Many thanks!
> Ann

1. How do I move mailboxes in different sites to Exchange 2000

I have an Exchange 5.5 Organization with 2 sites.  I installed a new
Exchange 2000 server into 1 of the 2 sites.  We want to consolidate both
servers into one.  From Active Directory Users and Computers, I can move
mailboxes for users within the site that has the Exchange 2000 server
installed.  When I try to move a mailbox from the site that didn't get the
Exchange 2000 server installed, I don't have the option to move the mailbox.

Does anyone know how to do this?  Thanks.

Frank Pulliza

2. custom receipiant distribution list

3. Problems Opening Other's Users Calendars

4. pop3 logs

5. Moving an Exchange Server into Different Site, Same Name

6. Public folder archive question.

7. moving of mail boxes between exchange servers at different site

8. moving exchange5.5 on NT4 to exchange 2000 on different win2000 server in same domain

9. Moving Exchange 2000 server to different box

10. Want to Move a WIN2K Server Also Running Exchange 2000 to different PC

11. Moving exchange 2000 database to different server