site/org name change

Post by Darren Savill » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:18:30

Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
mailboxes?

Thanks
Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Terry Moo » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:21:26

nope

Terry Moon

Quote:> Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> mailboxes?

> Thanks
> Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Mirko Hut » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:30:05

Yes ! Read the answer i gave Terry...

Mirko Huth

> nope

> Terry Moon

> > Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> > server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> > mailboxes?

> > Thanks
> > Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Mirko Hut » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:32:38

Hi !

Yes you can change the name.It can be done with the move Server wizard.
The Move Server Wizard is included in Exchange Server Service Pack 4 and
allows Exchange Server administrators to perform the following tasks:

  a.. Move an Exchange Server between existing sites and organizations.
  b.. Move an Exchange Server to create a new site or organization.
  c.. Move an Exchange Server to a new site in an existing organization.
  d.. Merge existing Exchange Server sites and organizations.

Mirko Huth

Quote:> Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> mailboxes?

> Thanks
> Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Terry Moo » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 05:41:59

Sorry bout that....Ive never used the Move Server Wizard.
Terry

> Hi !

> Yes you can change the name.It can be done with the move Server wizard.
> The Move Server Wizard is included in Exchange Server Service Pack 4 and
> allows Exchange Server administrators to perform the following tasks:

>   a.. Move an Exchange Server between existing sites and organizations.
>   b.. Move an Exchange Server to create a new site or organization.
>   c.. Move an Exchange Server to a new site in an existing organization.
>   d.. Merge existing Exchange Server sites and organizations.

> Mirko Huth

> > Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> > server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> > mailboxes?

> > Thanks
> > Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Lee Derbyshir » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:00:42

You can use the Move Server wizard, but you will lose your Public Folders if
you don't back them up. I think your connectors disappear, too, so write
down the configs. Read the docs very carefully.

Lee.

--
________________________________

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com
________________________________

Quote:> Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> mailboxes?

> Thanks
> Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:35:26

That isn't exactly the same as changing the organization and site names.
Use of this method entails numerous side effects.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Sorry bout that....Ive never used the Move Server Wizard.
> Terry

> > Hi !

> > Yes you can change the name.It can be done with the move Server wizard.
> > The Move Server Wizard is included in Exchange Server Service Pack 4 and
> > allows Exchange Server administrators to perform the following tasks:

> >   a.. Move an Exchange Server between existing sites and organizations.
> >   b.. Move an Exchange Server to create a new site or organization.
> >   c.. Move an Exchange Server to a new site in an existing organization.
> >   d.. Merge existing Exchange Server sites and organizations.

> > Mirko Huth

> > > Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> > > server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all
the
> > > mailboxes?

> > > Thanks
> > > Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:36:51

Why do you need to do that?  Change the display names; it's the only thing
anybody sees anyway.  Another option is to change the display names and then
upgrade to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

Quote:> Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> mailboxes?

> Thanks
> Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by MD » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:03:36

I need to do the same thing. We are in the process of
merging with another organization. In order for us to use
the directory synchronization connector we need to change
the organization to organization (O=organization). That's
not the only reason I have to do this.

The current server is running out of space so it's going
to be moved to a different server. So all together my
Exchange box is moving to a new server with a new server
name, new organization and new site. To make matters
worse, I'm a new Exchange Administrator with no help.
Exchange became part of the mix after I accepted the job.
Didn't find out that I had to manage an Exchange server or
the merger until I got there.

Someone PLEASE help me.....

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Why do you need to do that?  Change the display names;
it's the only thing
>anybody sees anyway.  Another option is to change the

display names and then
>upgrade to Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000.
>--
>Ed Crowley
>MVP - Exchange
>Compaq Computer
>"Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"

>> Is it possible to change the organization and site name
of an exchange
>> server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and
restore all the
>> mailboxes?

>> Thanks
>> Darren Saville

>.

site/org name change

Post by Darren Savill » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:05:51

The reason for doing this is we acquired another company that has an
exchange server 5.5.  since the org names are dissimilar we cannot use the
site connector for address and folder replication.  I have no desire to
rebuild a server to change the org name so these functions can be used but
if that is the only way then so be it.

Quote:> Is it possible to change the organization and site name of an exchange
> server 5.5 sp4 without having to reinstall exchange and restore all the
> mailboxes?

> Thanks
> Darren Saville

site/org name change

Post by Susan VanAlle » Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:13:45

Someone posted use Move Mailbox, with caveats, I have never tried this
myself...
--
Susan VanAllen
Systems Administrator