Ex 5.5 LDAP referral problems from non Win98 clients

Ex 5.5 LDAP referral problems from non Win98 clients

Post by John Smit » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:34:11



Hi,

We've set up our pilot Exchange 5.5 server to do referrals from our existing
Sun mail server.
The strange thing is that referrals are only successful from a Windows 98
client, all other Windows clients (2000 Professional or Windows 95) fail
with referral errors. The version of Outlook 2000 or 98 doesn't make any
difference, basically any Win98 client will get the referral and all others
fail.

I've had a look on MS KB and couldn't find any solutions and therefore would
appreciate any ideas or suggestions on what might be causing this problem.
FYI:  Our Exchange Organisation name is 'ExchOrg1' and by entering an LDAP
client Search Base of: 'o=exchorg1, c=gb' the referral works fine using
Win98.  Also if we enter another Search Base such as 'o=exch, c=gb' the
referral is also completed successfully using a Win98 client.
I've tried many other Search Base entries in an attempt to get the
Win95/2000 clients to get a successful LDAP referral, but no joy as yet.

Thank you

John

 
 
 

Ex 5.5 LDAP referral problems from non Win98 clients

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:26:30



>We've set up our pilot Exchange 5.5 server to do referrals from our existing
>Sun mail server.

"From", or "to" the other LDAP server? I'm not clear on where the
original query is originating, or to which server the original query
was directed.

If the client queries the 5.5 server, and if you've configured the 5.5
server's LDAP protocol to return a referral to the Sun LDAP server the
5.5 server doesn't redirect the search, it simply returns to the
client the referral to the other LDAP server. It's up to the client to
do something with the referral.

OTOH, if the client queries the Sun LDAP server, and if the Sun LDAP
server is redirecting the query from the client to the 5.5 server is
should work.

Quote:>The strange thing is that referrals are only successful from a Windows 98
>client, all other Windows clients (2000 Professional or Windows 95) fail
>with referral errors. The version of Outlook 2000 or 98 doesn't make any
>difference, basically any Win98 client will get the referral and all others
>fail.

What LDAP client are you running on those machines? Have you tried
other LDAP clients?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Ex 5.5 LDAP referral problems from non Win98 clients

Post by John Smit » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:41:29


We're using the Microsoft Outlook 98 or 2000 LDAP Client.
The client is configured to use Exchange for mail and LDAP services.
Exchange server has been configured (Exchange Site LDAP Properties,
Referrals) with Sun Mail server/LDAP referrals.

Thanks
John




> >We've set up our pilot Exchange 5.5 server to do referrals from our
existing
> >Sun mail server.

> "From", or "to" the other LDAP server? I'm not clear on where the
> original query is originating, or to which server the original query
> was directed.

> If the client queries the 5.5 server, and if you've configured the 5.5
> server's LDAP protocol to return a referral to the Sun LDAP server the
> 5.5 server doesn't redirect the search, it simply returns to the
> client the referral to the other LDAP server. It's up to the client to
> do something with the referral.

> OTOH, if the client queries the Sun LDAP server, and if the Sun LDAP
> server is redirecting the query from the client to the 5.5 server is
> should work.

> >The strange thing is that referrals are only successful from a Windows 98
> >client, all other Windows clients (2000 Professional or Windows 95) fail
> >with referral errors. The version of Outlook 2000 or 98 doesn't make any
> >difference, basically any Win98 client will get the referral and all
others
> >fail.

> What LDAP client are you running on those machines? Have you tried
> other LDAP clients?

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Ex 5.5 LDAP referral problems from non Win98 clients

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:39:52



>We're using the Microsoft Outlook 98 or 2000 LDAP Client.
>The client is configured to use Exchange for mail and LDAP services.
>Exchange server has been configured (Exchange Site LDAP Properties,
>Referrals) with Sun Mail server/LDAP referrals.

This is just a WAG, but what happens if you remove the referrals from
the site LDAP protocol and place them on the server's LDAP protocol?

I haven't played around much with the Outlook LDAP stuff because we
only use the Corporate/Workgroup installation.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

1. LDAP Referral Servers & slow client access

Upon setting up an LDAP referral server on Exchange 5.5, it seems that when
configuring a client to access the ldap service, information in the GAL is
returned, it's not using the referral?

Also I have noticed that setting up the Outlook clients to access an outside
ldap directory as opposed to the site ldap is very slow compared to eudora
or pegasus mail clients. Anyone have similar experiences?

2. Setting up conferencing with multiple MCUs

3. ldap referrals and ldap replication

4. Create xxx@support.test.com HOW?

5. Exchange 5.5 LDAP referral not working

6. does anyone know how to install OWA on an SBS ?

7. ldap referral problem?

8. Problem with OLook 98 Rules and Exchange

9. anonymous LDAP queries to non-Microsoft clients

10. LDAP SearchBase - NON-MS Clients - IS THERE NO ANSWER

11. LDAP Search Base for NON-MS Clients for access to the GAL