Exchange server unavailable at times for remote users

Exchange server unavailable at times for remote users

Post by Kevi » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:25:43

I have setup my Exchange 5.5 server to allow client connections from
the internet. Mainly for the President of the company. He is using
Outlook XP. We had switched ISPs at the office, and he could not
connect anymore.

I added a entry to the lmhosts file and then it worked from the
internet. He then went on a business trip, and using a high speed
connection in the hotel he was staying in. This time, he could not
connect. Never even prompted for his username and password. He would
get the "exchange server is unavailable" message. He then fired it up
at home again and it worked.

He then came into work, connected to the LAN and he got the Exchange
server is unavailable messages again. I can't help thinking this is a
XP problem, but I have dial in users, you get the messages, click on
retry and then it connects.

Is this a Exchange server problem, or a Outlook client problem?

Can anybody shed some light on this? I've checked WINS, DNS, and the
firewall ports. All look in good shape. Sorry if this is not the right
group to be emailing with this question, but I'm stumped beyond
belief.

Thanks!

Exchange server unavailable at times for remote users

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:44:54

Perhaps it has something to do with the connection he's using, too. In the
office, could he ping the Exchange server by name at the time it wasn't
allowing him in?

I strongly suggest you implement VPN. You're taking a big risk if you've
just opened up the requisite ports in your firewall to allow this.

> I have setup my Exchange 5.5 server to allow client connections from
> the internet. Mainly for the President of the company. He is using
> Outlook XP. We had switched ISPs at the office, and he could not
> connect anymore.

> I added a entry to the lmhosts file and then it worked from the
> internet. He then went on a business trip, and using a high speed
> connection in the hotel he was staying in. This time, he could not
> connect. Never even prompted for his username and password. He would
> get the "exchange server is unavailable" message. He then fired it up
> at home again and it worked.

> He then came into work, connected to the LAN and he got the Exchange
> server is unavailable messages again. I can't help thinking this is a
> XP problem, but I have dial in users, you get the messages, click on
> retry and then it connects.

> Is this a Exchange server problem, or a Outlook client problem?

> Can anybody shed some light on this? I've checked WINS, DNS, and the
> firewall ports. All look in good shape. Sorry if this is not the right
> group to be emailing with this question, but I'm stumped beyond
> belief.

> Thanks!

Exchange server unavailable at times for remote users

Post by Andy David [MVP » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 01:58:50

and use a hosts file, not lmhosts.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> Perhaps it has something to do with the connection he's using, too. In the
> office, could he ping the Exchange server by name at the time it wasn't
> allowing him in?

> I strongly suggest you implement VPN. You're taking a big risk if you've
> just opened up the requisite ports in your firewall to allow this.

> > I have setup my Exchange 5.5 server to allow client connections from
> > the internet. Mainly for the President of the company. He is using
> > Outlook XP. We had switched ISPs at the office, and he could not
> > connect anymore.

> > I added a entry to the lmhosts file and then it worked from the
> > internet. He then went on a business trip, and using a high speed
> > connection in the hotel he was staying in. This time, he could not
> > connect. Never even prompted for his username and password. He would
> > get the "exchange server is unavailable" message. He then fired it up
> > at home again and it worked.

> > He then came into work, connected to the LAN and he got the Exchange
> > server is unavailable messages again. I can't help thinking this is a
> > XP problem, but I have dial in users, you get the messages, click on
> > retry and then it connects.

> > Is this a Exchange server problem, or a Outlook client problem?

> > Can anybody shed some light on this? I've checked WINS, DNS, and the
> > firewall ports. All look in good shape. Sorry if this is not the right
> > group to be emailing with this question, but I'm stumped beyond
> > belief.

> > Thanks!

1. Exchange server unavailable to remote users

We run an NT 4 network with one server as Exchange and another which handles
the RAS.  Both are fully patched.

Up until the last couple of weeks remote users have been able to dial in
with no problems.  Now they get an intermittant error of "Exchange server
unavailable.".  I've checked they can ping the server.  Some users are
unable to ping the name, so I have added a Hosts entry.

We have tried clearing the WINS database and this seemed to help, but only
for a short while.

We're now stumped and would appreciate any info you could give.

Many thanks.
--

PJ.
80)

2. Exchange Client Internet Mail Service times out on connect?

3. Remote access - Exchange server unavailable

4. FAST HELP NEEDED ! Problem with addressbooks !

5. Remote users have painfully slow sychronization times.

6. Exchange Authentication

7. Server Manager shows user logged on multiple times in user's Mailbox

8. Using CDO

9. Remote users cannot connect to Exchange Server through vpn

10. How to allow 5 remote users to access Exchange Server

11. How to allow remote users to retrieve thier email fro exchange server

12. my remote users cant be resolved by my exchange server in the HQ

13. Remote user cannot connect to Exchange server