moving exchange server to other computer?

moving exchange server to other computer?

Post by Gert Ensin » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Who can tell me more about moving the exchange server to another computer.
Is it safe ? How to do it ?

<Gert>

moving exchange server to other computer?

Post by Thomas Masc » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Gert,

I just recently did this myself.  Our company has been rapidly growing so I
had decided that I would need to move our Exchange Server to a new, more
powerful computer.  We were also going to update to Exchange 5.0 at the same
time.

What we started with was an NT 3.51 server (p166-96meg ram and 1.5 Gig HD)
with SP5.  On it sat Exchange Server 4.0 (SP3).  This was all that the
computer was used for (It was not a PDC or BDC - just a server on the
network).  We had roughly 150 recipients.  Our store grew so fast overnight
(thanks to a merger) that I was left without enough room to do any kind of
EDBUTIL to get it back down to a managable size.  So I decided to gather all
the information I could, via the Newsgroups and Microsoft, on moving an
Exchange Server (the IS and Directory) to a new bigger, faster, stronger
machine.  This machine would be an NT4.0 P200 with 128 meg ram and two 5 gig
SCSI HD's.

All the stuff I had read, including the Micorosoft - Exchange Server
Disaster Recovery Guide, said to basically do the following: (paraphrased)

1. Make online backup.
2. Bring down old machine.
3. Delete and re-add the computer account to the domain controller.
4. Bring up new server, with same computer name, and update with appropriate
service packs.
5. Install Exchange (same version with service packs) and select Create a
new site.
6. Use same Organization Name and Site Names.
7. Restore last online backup.

BE CAREFUL THOUGH, IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME.  I researched and followed the
instructions to a tee.  Tested that night and everything worked so I went
home.  Came back that Monday morning and the IS has crashed and no one in
our company could use email!  It looked to me like the IS did a consistency
check and bombed.  All the same I recorded the error codes in the event
viewer and proceeded to search the knowledge base and post to the newsgroup.
(I also had to bring back up the old server since email is used heavily in
our company for much of it's communication - keep it handy aftery you bring
it down, it can save your rear.)  Everyone I came into contact with via the
newsgroup double checked my proceedure and assured me I did it right.  I
also got responses where the same thing had happened to them.  One person
had their Exchange Server work right for a week and then crash,
unexplainably.

So I preceeded that week to research my *off to find out if I had missed
anything.  Was it the changing  from NT 3.51 to NT 4.0, was it something in
the registry?  I just did not know.  But after further review and talking
with others I learned that I had done the best I could.  I decided at that
point to not take any chances and that I would have all my users save any
messages, contacts, taks, etc. to their personal folders (thank goodness for
these).  Then I would simply build an entirely new Information Store.
However, I kept the same compter name, Org. Name and Site Name in order for
the clients to connect right back into the server.  Many of our clients are
at branches spread out all over the city and state so reconfiguring each
client would not be feasible.

So I came in over the weekend and did this, starting with Exchange 5.0 (SP1)
and NT 4.0 (SP3).  It has worked fine now for about 3-4 weeks.  The only
bump I came to was having to have some of the clients (Ex 4.0 (32 and 16
bit) and Outlook 97) re-type the name of the     Exchange Server computer
(in that field under Services) and then clicking on Check Name.  Then they
got in fine.  I actually found a knowledge base article on it but can not
remember the reason this happens.  Something about clients being noted in
the server's registry or something.

The only new revelation that I came across was an new article in the
Microsoft knowledge base (aritcle #: Q155216) that describes the moving of
an Exchange Server a bit differently.  This article just came out recently,
and it involves copying the EXCHSRVR (entire) directory to a different place
on the network and then putting it back on the new machine.  Sounds like
something the tape backup missed????  I don't know, I was informed of the
article by one of the people I talked to.  Have not tried it though.

Hope this somewhat helps.  Sorry it is so long winded.  If you have any more
questions, or comments feel free to email me at

Also if you would like to see any of the correspondence I had with other
people on this I would be glad to send it to you.

Hope this helps,

Thomas Masci
Premier Lending Corporation

> Hi,

> Who can tell me more about moving the exchange server to another computer.
> Is it safe ? How to do it ?

> <Gert>

>Hi,

>Who can tell me more about moving the exchange server to another computer.
>Is it safe ? How to do it ?

><Gert>

1. Use Microsoft Exchange Move Server Wizard to move server to a new computer

There are several useful hints on how to move a server to a new computer
using the
OLD computername (mostly it's like a recovery). In my case this is not
possible because
I will kill ONLY exchange on the old computer (means old name continue to
exists, new computer has a new netbios-name).
I know the Ed Crowley Server Move Method on
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxa.htm
but what about IMS, Server Based Rules etc. ?
What about using the Microsoft Exchange Move Server Wizard to transfer the
old
Server to a new "site" on the same organisation and than killing the old
site.
OK, sitename changes. But that's no problem, isn't it ?

Frank Daske

2. Exchange question

3. Outlook on one computer connects to exchange server but not others

4. Backing up MS Exchange

5. how to move exchange server 2000 to diffrent computer (server)

6. How2 use CDONTS with Exchange (on separate servers of course)

7. moving folders from 95 computer to 2000 computer

8. isinteg

9. move exchange server 5.5 to another computer

10. Move Exchange Server to a New computer

11. How to Move Exchange Server to a New Computer with a different Name

12. Moving Exchange Server To A New Computer

13. what is the best way to move my exchange server to a brand new computer