Unknown Recipient

Post by jame » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:35:25

Hello,

Is there a way to tighten down IMS such that the IMS returns code 550 User
unknown when the
rcpt to: has in invalid user on the Exchange server?

Currently under our configuration, the Exchange server accepts the intended
mail for the stated recipient so long as the domain name matches one of the
<inbound> entries we've added. I've seen many other smtp programs that do a
validation check against its users and not accept mail if a user does not
exist on its system.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance

Unknown Recipient

Post by VMilewsk » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:45:25

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/exchange/relay.asp
Quote:-----Original Message-----

Hello,

Is there a way to tighten down IMS such that the IMS returns code 550 User
unknown when the
rcpt to: has in invalid user on the Exchange server?

Currently under our configuration, the Exchange server accepts the intended
mail for the stated recipient so long as the domain name matches one of the
<inbound> entries we've added. I've seen many other smtp programs that do a
validation check against its users and not accept mail if a user does not
exist on its system.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance

.

Unknown Recipient

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:36:24

>Is there a way to tighten down IMS such that the IMS returns code 550 User
>unknown when the
>rcpt to: has in invalid user on the Exchange server?

No. The Exchange IMS doesn't check the directory until the message has
been received.

Quote:>Currently under our configuration, the Exchange server accepts the intended
>mail for the stated recipient so long as the domain name matches one of the
><inbound> entries we've added. I've seen many other smtp programs that do a
>validation check against its users and not accept mail if a user does not
>exist on its system.

>What am I missing here?

Nothing.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. default mail recipient for unknown recipients

Is there a way to have all email that is not sent to a
valid recipient on the server to go to a specific

there is no helpme account.  Can it be setup to go to a
specifice exchange account?  (like joe's exchange
mailbox).  My fear is that a ton of spam will end up in
that box.

2. Multiple emails for one person

3. The recipient name is not recognized...Unknown Recipient

4. CDO Problem when use IIS and Exchange

5. (000C05A6) Unknown Recipient

6. Backup of Individual Mailboxes

7. Unknown Recipient question

8. IM superman