How can I Modify Banner information Ex Server 2000 reports

How can I Modify Banner information Ex Server 2000 reports

Post by Beverly Adkin » Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:46:08

How can I modify the banner info that EX 2000 provides on the SMTP port?
Currently it gives the server name, Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service Version.

I'd like to have it provide no version info and a different server name
(currently shows the actual internal name instead of mail.domain.com)

Thanks
BBJ

How can I Modify Banner information Ex Server 2000 reports

Post by Wend » Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:32:11

See KB281224 for full details, but in short:

This may be an issue if you do not want the version of the SMTP service that
is running on your server to be displayed. To remove the version information
from the Windows 2000 SMTP banner, follow these steps:
  1.. Using a metabase editing tool such as MetaEdit, locate the following
file:
  Lm\Smtpsvc\virtual server number

  2.. Click Edit, click New, and then click String.
  3.. Verify that the entry in the ID box is Other, and then type 36907
(decimal) on the right side of the ID box.
  4.. In the Value box, type the banner that you want to be displayed.
  5.. Stop, and then restart the SMTP virtual server or the SMTP service.
To confirm that the banner has been changed, telnet to port 25 of the
virtual server (the default setting). The "ESMTP MAIL Service, Version:
5.0.2195.1600" banner should no longer be displayed.

Wendy

Quote:> How can I modify the banner info that EX 2000 provides on the SMTP port?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:23:35

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;265293

> How can I modify the banner info that EX 2000 provides on the SMTP port?
> Currently it gives the server name, Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service Version.

> I'd like to have it provide no version info and a different server name
> (currently shows the actual internal name instead of mail.domain.com)

> Thanks
> BBJ

1. Canned/Custom MSExchange Reports

Is there a way to Print out reports in Exchange with Private Information
Store statistics? I can generate the information in the Private Information
Store/Mailbox Resources such as User login ID, No. of Messages in
mailboxes, Last Login etc... But to print out I need to cut and paste the
screens.  Is there a way to query this information via Access or Excel and
print in a friendlier report format?

2. SMTP MAIL ON TELNET

3. ---How can a user modify their contact information in the Global Address Book in Exchange 2000---

4. MS Exchange/Messaging chokes up when reading msg.

5. Installing Client on SQL Server

6. How modify POP banner????

7. OWA - Not all mailboxes can be opened

8. Modifying SMTP banner

9. How to modify the POP3 Banner

10. Need to Modify POP3/SMTP banners in 5.5

11. Removing/modifying the SMTP banner in Exchange IMC

12. Modify Exchange 5.5 SMTP Banner