Removing the "Everybody" user group in Exchange2K

Removing the "Everybody" user group in Exchange2K

Post by aeromutt.ne » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 19:09:02

Hello all

I trying to share only specific folders between users... i.e. there
calendars only.

However all users can see everyone's entire exchange folders. I have tracked
down the problem, to the fact that the "Everybody" user group is in all
user's mailbox rights. however when I try to remove the group I get the
following message.

"You cannot remove "Everyone" because this object is inheriting permissions
from its parent. To remove "Everyone" you must prevent this object from
inheriting permissions" Turn off the option for inheriting permissions, and
then try removing "Everyone again"

I have turn off the "inheriting permissions" tick box is a number of places
(from with the AD security tab, in Explorer itself and using the ADSI
editor... without success.How can I get the "everyone" group out of the
user's mailbox rights... registry edit perhaps?

Many thanks

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 09:50:53

>I trying to share only specific folders between users... i.e. there
>calendars only.

>However all users can see everyone's entire exchange folders. I have tracked
>down the problem, to the fact that the "Everybody" user group is in all
>user's mailbox rights. however when I try to remove the group I get the
>following message.

Yes, the "everyone" group is present in the "Security" tab for every
AD User object. Leave it alone. It's there to permit changing
passwords.

Quote:>"You cannot remove "Everyone" because this object is inheriting permissions
>from its parent. To remove "Everyone" you must prevent this object from
>inheriting permissions" Turn off the option for inheriting permissions, and
>then try removing "Everyone again"

>I have turn off the "inheriting permissions" tick box is a number of places
>(from with the AD security tab, in Explorer itself and using the ADSI
>editor... without success.How can I get the "everyone" group out of the
>user's mailbox rights... registry edit perhaps?

If you're seeing this sort of behavior, have a look at the "Delegation
wizard" on the Exchange organzation or Administrative Group(s). Have
you delegated too much contol to a group of users? "Regular" users
need no explicit permissions in the Exchange organizations.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Removing the "Everybody" user group in Exchange2K

Hello all

I trying to share only specific folders between users...
i.e. their calendars only.

However all users can see everyone's entire exchange
folders. I have tracked down the problem, to the fact that
the "Everybody" user group is in all user's mailbox
rights. however when I try to remove the group I get the
following message.

"You cannot remove "Everyone" because this object is
inheriting permissions from its parent. To
remove "Everyone" you must prevent this object from
inheriting permissions" Turn off the option for inheriting
permissions, and then try removing "Everyone again"

I have turn off the "inheriting permissions" tick box is a
number of places (from with the AD security tab, in
Explorer itself and using the ADSI editor... without
success.How can I get the "everyone" group out of the
user's mailbox rights... registry edit perhaps?

Many thanks

rJ

2. Removing server from farm and need to move Store

3. Please Help""""""""""""""

4. Obtain quota

5. "No Interface" when installing Exchange2k

6. Problems with sending mail to a particular domain

7. """"Microsoft Fax options""""

8. Problems with Attaching a existing message via code

9. ""Exchange in Win98 ?????""

10. Users "loggin onto" other users mailboxes

11. Users can send "From" any user

12. Removing "Ghosted" Public folders

13. Removing "(E-mail)"