Internet Mail Service died

Post by Bob Dienhar » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The Internet Mail Service on our exchange server ceased functioning.  A
predecessor built a second exchange server in the domain and linked it to
the first for the benefit of internet mail access.  How do I go about
restoring the Internet Mail Connector on the first machine?  I don't believe
it responds to stopping and restarting the service.  Is there a way around
this issue without re-building the first exchange server?

Bob

Internet Mail Service died

Have you tried to reboot the server with IMS?

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Internet Mail Service died

Post by Bob Dienhar » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the reponse.  I'm sure all manner of reboots were tried by my
predecessor and I have had the opportunity to perfomr a couple since my
management just recently bought an UPS.  I know the service is there - but
it is not responding.  Can it be removed and re-installed?  Or will I need
to perform major surgery and do a complete re-install??  (Not something I
really want to do just yet.  Am getting back into exchange in my spare time
and don't feel comfortable enough to perform major surgery on it.)

Bob

> Have you tried to reboot the server with IMS?

> > The Internet Mail Service on our exchange server ceased functioning.  A
> > predecessor built a second exchange server in the domain and linked it
> > the first for the benefit of internet mail access.  How do I go about
> > restoring the Internet Mail Connector on the first machine?  I don't
believe
> > it responds to stopping and restarting the service.  Is there a way
around
> > this issue without re-building the first exchange server?

> > Bob

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do
so.
> And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

Internet Mail Service died

Post by Bob Dienhar » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Great!  This may sound like a foolish question - but how do I go about
removing and re-installing my internet mail connector?  Hopefully I was
clear enough in my initial statement.  We do get internet based e-mail on
the server.  It stopped supporting access to our Exchange based e-mail
through remote POP3 access.  We are also using Outlook Web Access - all
things I have yet to learn about.

Thanks for your help.

> > Thanks for the reponse.  I'm sure all manner of reboots were tried by my
> > predecessor and I have had the opportunity to perfomr a couple since my
> > management just recently bought an UPS.  I know the service is there -
but
> > it is not responding.  Can it be removed and re-installed?

> Yes.

> >  Or will I need
> > to perform major surgery and do a complete re-install??

> No.

> >  (Not something I
> > really want to do just yet.  Am getting back into exchange in my spare
time
> > and don't feel comfortable enough to perform major surgery on it.)

> I would recommend to install latest Exchange SP (after testing in your
> enviroment) to increase stability of your server.

> > Bob

> > > Have you tried to reboot the server with IMS?

> > believe
> > around

> > > --
> > > If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to
do
> > so.
> > > And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can
participate.

> > > Kirill

> --
> Corrections are welcome.

> For "Good post" practice visit
> http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Kirill.

Internet Mail Service died

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:09:52

> Thanks for the reponse.  I'm sure all manner of reboots were tried by my
> predecessor and I have had the opportunity to perfomr a couple since my
> management just recently bought an UPS.  I know the service is there - but
> it is not responding.  Can it be removed and re-installed?

Yes.

Quote:>  Or will I need
> to perform major surgery and do a complete re-install??

No.

Quote:>  (Not something I

--

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Great!  This may sound like a foolish question - but how do I go about
> removing and re-installing my internet mail connector?

Write down all settings of IMC.
Select IMC and press Del key. Confirm the action.
Then click File/New other/IMS.
Put back all settings.
This is NOT something I would recommend doing. I recommend to apply latest
available Exchange SP.

Quote:>  Hopefully I was
> clear enough in my initial statement.  We do get internet based e-mail on
> the server.  It stopped supporting access to our Exchange based e-mail
> through remote POP3 access.

POP3 access provided by other component of Exchange.

Quote:>  We are also using Outlook Web Access - all
> things I have yet to learn about.

> Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

Quote:

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

1. Internet Mail Services died

My IMS suddenly died yesterday. It will not allow
outbound or inbound mail. There were tons of errors in
the application log with a proxy server setup - I
uninstalled it and now there are no errors but still it
won't work.  I have gone from none (purge all bound mail)
to only inbound to both (each change I stop and start the
Internet Mail Service)
I reroute incoming SMTP mail to my Xserver. and restrict
hosts and clients that successfullly authenticat and do
not have any hosts or clients that can never route mail.
Oh - I can get to the Internet and Intranet on the
Xserver so I believe that the network basics are
functional.

2. OWA - Send mail to contact

3. Internet Mail Service - Dies ?

4. Using OE & MS Exchange

5. Internet mail service and information store service die!!!

6. Please Help

7. EX server dies when Internet dies

8. OWA logon question

9. Server dies when internet dies

10. Sending Mail on Exchange Service and Internet Mail Service

11. Can't send internet mail through Internet Mail Service

12. internet mail service and information store service die suddenly... - 03081325.evt (0/1)

13. internet mail service and information store service die!!! - 03081325.evt (0/1)