Delay in new mail notifications

Post by Travis L. Ren » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 03:42:35

We are using exchange 2000, SP3 on Windows 2000 in native mode, and various
versions of outlook.
Most of our comptuers are not recieving notification of the recipt of new
mail messages until they take some action in outlook (such as changing
folders).
Any thoughts about what could be causing this?

Delay in new mail notifications

Post by Arlo Clizer [MVP » Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:12:19

Quote:> We are using exchange 2000, SP3 on Windows 2000 in native mode, and
> various versions of outlook.
> Most of our comptuers are not recieving notification of the recipt of
> new mail messages until they take some action in outlook (such as
> changing folders).
> Any thoughts about what could be causing this?

Most likely a firewall or router that is affecting udp packets from the
server to the clients. Could this be the case?

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

Delay in new mail notifications

Post by Travis L. Ren » Sun, 22 Dec 2002 02:51:19

it's one big subnet.
Both the clients and the server are behind the same firewall.
There is also a router that leads to the outside, but it is not between the
clients and the server.

Is there some way to test the effective deliver of UDP packets?

> > We are using exchange 2000, SP3 on Windows 2000 in native mode, and
> > various versions of outlook.
> > Most of our comptuers are not recieving notification of the recipt of
> > new mail messages until they take some action in outlook (such as
> > changing folders).
> > Any thoughts about what could be causing this?

> Most likely a firewall or router that is affecting udp packets from the
> server to the clients. Could this be the case?

> Regards,

> --
> Arlo Clizer
> Exchange MVP
> FAQ located at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
> Newsgroup archives at http://groups.google.com

Delay in new mail notifications

Post by Reade C [MSF » Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:10:47

Hello Travis,

Thank you for requesting support for Microsoft Exchange server.

I also agree with Arlo that the most likely cause of this issue is that UDP
traffic is not transferred from the server to the client computer. Common
reasons to cause that UDP traffic is not transferred are:

- A router is not allowing UDP packets between the server and the client.
You have to configure the router to allow UDP packets to pass from the
server to the client. To do so, view the router manufacturer's
documentation.

- A firewall is blocking the UDP ports from the server to the client. Open
the ephemeral ports (1024 and higher) to allow UDP from the server to the
client.

Also, you can use Network Monitor to determine whether or not UDP packets
are sent.

To determine whether or not UDP packets are sent between the server and the
client, capture the Outlook logon process. Also capture the process of
sending a new message to the client. If no UDP packets are sent from the
server, either UDP is being blocked or the registration was not successful
on the server.

NOTE: The client binds to the information store
(A4F1DB00-CA47-1067-B31F-00DD010662DA). Then send an opnum 0x4
(ecRRegisterPushNotification) to the server. The server responds
successfully to this opnum 0x4, whether or not the client is registered.

For additional information about using Network Monitor to troubleshoot
client connectivity, see the "Client Network Traffic with Exchange 2000"
white paper at the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/administration/2000/Client...

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Reade Chen, MCSE, MCSD
Microsoft Online Support Professional

You assume all risk for your use. Copy Right, 2001 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.

1. Delay in new mail notification

HI All,
perhaps this is a FAQ but I wasn't able to find a solution.

I installed (as many of my collegues) OfficeXP on a WindowsXP Pro
workstation.

Everything is updated to the last Service Pack/Hot Fix.

The matter is delay on new mail notification from our
Exchange 2000 Server.

Sometimes new mail notification (and header download) is
delayed also of half an hour.

It doesn't work also by clicking on "Send/Receive" button.

Now we use a workaround provided by
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B305572
Knowledge Base Article.

It works but we are notified with a 1 minute delay than our Windows2000
collegues workstation.

I'm sure this isn't a new problem.

Thanks in advance,
Igor.

2. Forwarding Email

3. New Mail Notification Delay unless activity is done in Outlook

4. MS Exchange Services

5. Delay in new e-mail notification Outlook 2002

6. Error upon completion of setup 5.5 Exchange

7. ?? Delayed notification of New Mail

8. incoming/ outgoing message size filter problem

9. ?? Delayed Notification of new mail

10. New Mail Notification but no new mail!

11. New Mail Notification with No New Mail

12. New Mail Notification but no new mail!