Can't find Exchange server by name - but does by IP address

Can't find Exchange server by name - but does by IP address

Post by Marce » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I'm sure this is a pretty simple problem, however I'm new to this ......

I've set up MS Small Business Server & Exchange on a machine with 2
NIC's, one real IP address for the outside world & the other
192.168.0.x for inside the network. Using WinProxy to handle getting
the 192.168.0.x machines to the outside.

When setting up the client machines I add Microsoft Exchange in mail
properties (via Control Panel), enter server name and user NT login
name but when I ask the system to find the user it cannot, if I enter
the IP address (192.168.0.x) in the server name area the client machine
finds the server & user then immediately translates the server IP
address into a name.

When I start the client MS Outlook it cannot connect to the Exchange
server - [retry] option multiple times does not work so I am left with
the [Work Offline] option - which I tried figuring I would make a
connection from inside Outlook - no joy.

This has happened on multiple client side machines - using both Outlook
97 and Outlook 2000 - so I figure it has to be a server thing.

The only Protocol loaded is TCP/IP which should be more than cabable of
this shouldn't it?

Any and all ideas welcome.

Can't find Exchange server by name - but does by IP address

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Name resolution issue.
Use HOSTS/LMHOSTS file on one of client machines and see the difference.
Then fix TCP/IP setup on the network.

> I'm sure this is a pretty simple problem, however I'm new to this ......

> I've set up MS Small Business Server & Exchange on a machine with 2
> NIC's, one real IP address for the outside world & the other
> 192.168.0.x for inside the network. Using WinProxy to handle getting
> the 192.168.0.x machines to the outside.

> When setting up the client machines I add Microsoft Exchange in mail
> properties (via Control Panel), enter server name and user NT login
> name but when I ask the system to find the user it cannot, if I enter
> the IP address (192.168.0.x) in the server name area the client machine
> finds the server & user then immediately translates the server IP
> address into a name.

> When I start the client MS Outlook it cannot connect to the Exchange
> server - [retry] option multiple times does not work so I am left with
> the [Work Offline] option - which I tried figuring I would make a
> connection from inside Outlook - no joy.

> This has happened on multiple client side machines - using both Outlook
> 97 and Outlook 2000 - so I figure it has to be a server thing.

> The only Protocol loaded is TCP/IP which should be more than cabable of
> this shouldn't it?

> Any and all ideas welcome.

Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Can't find Exchange server by name - but does by IP address

Post by Rich Matheise » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>The only Protocol loaded is TCP/IP which should be more than cabable of
>this shouldn't it?

>Any and all ideas welcome.

Either install DNS or use HOSTS files on the client machines.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Post by Marce » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Name resolution issue.
> Use HOSTS/LMHOSTS file on one of client machines and see the
> difference.
> Then fix TCP/IP setup on the network.

That did the trick perfectly - many thanks

Can't find Exchange server by name - but does by IP address

Post by Sean McCann » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Before using the LMHOSTS file (although they do work) do you have WINS
enables on the network? If so, do you use DHCP? The problem with LMHOSTS
files is that they are static. If something changes (like you move your
Exchange server) then you have to update all of the client machines to
match. Granted, I don't know how many you are talking about, but in the case
that you have many on your network, you could put yourself in a bind to get
them all done. It is a workstation fix, but it can be a one time workstation
fix if planned out.

Sean

1. prohibited by administrator (failed to find host name from IP address)

Hi,

Since of late I'm unable to send emails to most domains. the returned mails
say:

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server.

prohibited by administrator (failed to find host name from IP address)>

While I was trying to find the couse, Test mails sent to one of my friends
did go. He is in a different domain to mine. Receiving of mails seems to be
ok

Thanks in advace.

2. restoring from an offline backup

3. Exchange 2000 Attachment blocking?

4. Log file to find sender's IP address

5. KMS - Multiple Sites

6. Can't connect to Exchange server after changing IP address

7. OWA on another server

8. Internet mail Service Works But Clients must use IP address on inbound server rather than name

9. Cannot Resolve Name, Name not found in Address list

10. change Exchange 2000 computer name or IP address

11. Can I set up exchange to deliver w/o a DNS name (only the IP address)

12. How to redirect mail from old IP address to new IP address