CGI Script not working with SMTP to Exchange 2000

CGI Script not working with SMTP to Exchange 2000

Post by Rhymhoo » Sat, 17 Aug 2002 23:28:46

I have been using bnbform.cgi for some time with great success. But
when I upgraded to Exchange 2000, the SMTP no longer works. It just
sits there and waits for 5 or so minutes and times out.

I've seen this issue pop up other places, but never saw a resolution.

Any help?

Thanks!

-Rhymhoont

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:14:12

>I have been using bnbform.cgi for some time with great success. But
>when I upgraded to Exchange 2000, the SMTP no longer works. It just
>sits there and waits for 5 or so minutes and times out.

>I've seen this issue pop up other places, but never saw a resolution.

>Any help?

That cgi doesn't appear to do anything strange or unexpected, but are
you sure the IP server name is correct? If the cgi is timing out
waiting for the SMTP banner then it's likely that the connection isn't
being being established successfully.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

CGI Script not working with SMTP to Exchange 2000

Post by Rhymhoo » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:54:04

Quote:

> That cgi doesn't appear to do anything strange or unexpected, but are
> you sure the IP server name is correct? If the cgi is timing out
> waiting for the SMTP banner then it's likely that the connection isn't
> being being established successfully.

The IP is correct, and when I look in the Exchange system Manager in
the SMTP Current Sessions, I see the web server pop up in there and
sit.

Without changing anything in the script except the IP address of the
server, it will send to my Exch 5.5 and Cobalt servers correctly.

-Jay

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 10:10:36

>> That cgi doesn't appear to do anything strange or unexpected, but are
>> you sure the IP server name is correct? If the cgi is timing out
>> waiting for the SMTP banner then it's likely that the connection isn't
>> being being established successfully.

>The IP is correct, and when I look in the Exchange system Manager in
>the SMTP Current Sessions, I see the web server pop up in there and
>sit.

>Without changing anything in the script except the IP address of the
>server, it will send to my Exch 5.5 and Cobalt servers correctly.

If this is the only thing that fails, do you suppose it just might be
the way the script uses the socket to send commands to the server?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Sending Mail via CGI Script with Exchange 2000

Hi gang,

I'm a first time poster so don't beat up on me too bad.

Question:

I'm currently running ActiveState Perl v5.6.1.626 on a Windows2000 box with
Exchange 2000. Seeing as though I'm not the worlds best Perl scripter, I grabbed
a free HTML form to email script (Form2Mail) for a few web form pages I'm working
on. When I use the same script on an Exchange 5.5 Win2K box it works fine and the
output of the test email is as follows.

D:\>perl %pathtoscript%\cgi-bin\form2mail.pl
Commandline mode. Answers in brackets are default values.
Do you wish to send a test email? ([y]/n) y

Ok, trying to connect...
Resolving hostname for 192.168.XXX.XXX...ok
SMTP session initiated. Debug mode is on.
Check D:\logs\F2Merror.log for details of session.
Mail transmitted.

D:\>

However, when I use this same script on the box with Exchange 2000 on it, the
script hangs just before the "Mail transmitted." output is displayed on the
screen. And of course, the mail is never sent to the specified mailbox on the
Exchange 2000 server. The script never writes an event into it's log, so my first
guess is the SMTP implementation on 2000. Am I missing something with configuring
the SMTP connector?

Oh and if anyone has a better/easier way to accomplish my task, I'm all ears!

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Guy Goodenough

2. public folder

3. Exchange 2000 SMTP (iPlanet) connector, smart host not working

4. How to create and configure Outlook97/8 profile from VBscript?

5. How to create an Excahnge connector!

6. How to send message through Exchange from inside CGI script

7. Missing posts to public folders

8. exch 2000 server installed in child domain, smtp not working

9. SMTP Connector with SMTP Virtual Server with different SMTP port does not work

10. Where can i find the html or cgi script for nt password change in weboutlook

11. SMTP Connector with SMTP Virtual Server with different SMTP port does not work

12. CGI Script Info