Changing GAL to display last name first

Post by Barrymore Warre » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I currently have our Global Address List displayed with First Name, Last
Name. Upper management wants it to be displayed with the user's last name
first. I know I can change how the display name is generated, by changing it
in Exchange Administrator Tools -> Options. My question is , I have 230
other mailboxes already created which are displayed by First Name, Last
Name, if I make the change and restart the directory service , will it
convert the display names to the new format? If not, what do I need to do to
make this happen?

Barrymore Warren
Mercy College. NY

Changing GAL to display last name first

Post by D. Sengupt » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Changing the settings in your Exchange Administrator Tools -> Options will
only affect any mailboxes created from that specific Exchange Admin tool
(ie. you have to do it on all the PCs your using Exchange Admin on).  It
will only affect mailboxes created from the time you make the change.  You
won't have to do anything to the Directory Service.

As far as the 230 existing mailboxes are concerned, ... they won't be
changed automatically.  What I'd suggest, here, is that you learn to do
directory exports and imports.  If you do a directory export of the required
mailbox fields and the first name, last name, display name, etc. you can,
say, bring the *.csv or *.txt file into Excel, ... make the changes to the
display name (parsing in Excel works great), and then re-import the same
file to make the changes all at once.
--

D. Sengupta, MCP
Sengupta at freenet dot carleton dot ca