Deleting Inbox Message using Outlook 2002 on Exchange 2000 SP3

Deleting Inbox Message using Outlook 2002 on Exchange 2000 SP3

Post by Tom » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:17:56

We have an Exchange 2000 SP3 server with about 100 users on it.  All
clients are using Outlook 2002 SP2 fully patched on Windows 2000 SP3.
Sometimes, users call and say that they cannot delete or move certain
message from their inbox.  I have taken over their pc and found this
to be the case.  I have tried turning off preview pane, but that
doesn't work.  Also, this seems to be totally random.  It has affected
many different accounts on the Exchange server, it affects both
messages with attachments and without.  It also affects messages sent
directly to the user, and messages where the user is cc'ed or bcc'ed.
Finally, I can successfully delete the message when opening their
inbox as admin.  All permissions are default for this Exchange server,
and I have verified that the users have correct permissions to their
inboxes.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  It is becoming a burden to take
over the mailboxes of several users a day to delete/move message from
their inbox.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Erdely

Deleting Inbox Message using Outlook 2002 on Exchange 2000 SP3

Post by Andy David [MVP » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:06:53

Any AV software running on the Exchange Server?

> We have an Exchange 2000 SP3 server with about 100 users on it.  All
> clients are using Outlook 2002 SP2 fully patched on Windows 2000 SP3.
> Sometimes, users call and say that they cannot delete or move certain
> message from their inbox.  I have taken over their pc and found this
> to be the case.  I have tried turning off preview pane, but that
> doesn't work.  Also, this seems to be totally random.  It has affected
> many different accounts on the Exchange server, it affects both
> messages with attachments and without.  It also affects messages sent
> directly to the user, and messages where the user is cc'ed or bcc'ed.
> Finally, I can successfully delete the message when opening their
> inbox as admin.  All permissions are default for this Exchange server,
> and I have verified that the users have correct permissions to their
> inboxes.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?  It is becoming a burden to take
> over the mailboxes of several users a day to delete/move message from
> their inbox.

> Thanks in advance,

> Tom Erdely

Deleting Inbox Message using Outlook 2002 on Exchange 2000 SP3

Post by Tom » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:06:48

We are running Trend ScanMail for Exchange, the latest version.  We
don't have message filtering or attachment blocking on, just virus
scanning, and these messages don't usually have attachments at all and
some are plain text.  Also, the store has never had any problems.  I
have, just to make sure, unmounted and remounted the store to make
sure that it would mount cleanly, and it does.  Like I said, the
messages are deleteable as admin, but since other things in the inbox
are moveable/Deleteable, I can't imagine it's a permissions issue
since there are no item level permissions in Exchange (right?).

Thanks,

Tom

> Any AV software running on the Exchange Server?

> > We have an Exchange 2000 SP3 server with about 100 users on it.  All
> > clients are using Outlook 2002 SP2 fully patched on Windows 2000 SP3.
> > Sometimes, users call and say that they cannot delete or move certain
> > message from their inbox.  I have taken over their pc and found this
> > to be the case.  I have tried turning off preview pane, but that
> > doesn't work.  Also, this seems to be totally random.  It has affected
> > many different accounts on the Exchange server, it affects both
> > messages with attachments and without.  It also affects messages sent
> > directly to the user, and messages where the user is cc'ed or bcc'ed.
> > Finally, I can successfully delete the message when opening their
> > inbox as admin.  All permissions are default for this Exchange server,
> > and I have verified that the users have correct permissions to their
> > inboxes.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions?  It is becoming a burden to take
> > over the mailboxes of several users a day to delete/move message from
> > their inbox.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Tom Erdely

Deleting Inbox Message using Outlook 2002 on Exchange 2000 SP3

Post by Tom » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:39:07

Actually, after reading your message, someone called with yet another
unmoveable/undeleteable, and I tried stopping the Trend SMEX services.
 Low and behold...they could delete their message.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction,

Tom Erdely

> Any AV software running on the Exchange Server?

> > We have an Exchange 2000 SP3 server with about 100 users on it.  All
> > clients are using Outlook 2002 SP2 fully patched on Windows 2000 SP3.
> > Sometimes, users call and say that they cannot delete or move certain
> > message from their inbox.  I have taken over their pc and found this
> > to be the case.  I have tried turning off preview pane, but that
> > doesn't work.  Also, this seems to be totally random.  It has affected
> > many different accounts on the Exchange server, it affects both
> > messages with attachments and without.  It also affects messages sent
> > directly to the user, and messages where the user is cc'ed or bcc'ed.
> > Finally, I can successfully delete the message when opening their
> > inbox as admin.  All permissions are default for this Exchange server,
> > and I have verified that the users have correct permissions to their
> > inboxes.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions?  It is becoming a burden to take
> > over the mailboxes of several users a day to delete/move message from
> > their inbox.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Tom Erdely

1. Cancel Request when using Outlook 2002 and Exchange 2000

When trying to navigate the contacts database in the
Public Folders, I receive the following message and
Outlook takes about 2 minutes to perform one task such as
moving to the next contact in the list or deleting a
single contact.  I am the only person connecting to the
server when this is happening (though other users have
experienced the same problem).  I have shut down each
user's computer, shut down the server, restarted the
server, then restarted each user's computer and the
problem persists.  Any ideas?

"Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange
Server <server name>.  You can cancel the request or
minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until
Outlook closes the message automatically."

2. MAPI Implementation of Lotus Notes

3. Contact Management using Exchange 2000 & Outlook 2002

4. Exchange 5.5 Relay Problem

5. Deleting a message in Inbox deletes all other unread messages in Inbox

6. Tranferring inbox from Groupwise

7. Exchange 5.5 SP3, Outlook 2002 and offline address book sync error

8. User forgot his PST password - now what?

9. outlook 2002 client cannot access Exchange Server after installed sp3

10. HTML formatting in Outlook 2002 under Win2K (Exchange Server SP3)

11. OWA/Outlook 2000/ Exchange 2K vs 5.5 and Outlook 2002

12. Outlook 2000/2002 and Exchange 2000

13. 2 exchange email addresses sharing 1 Outlook 2002 inbox