Am I doing enough?

Post by Da » Tue, 20 May 2003 17:59:52

We have Exchange 5.5 - I do a backup in NTBackup (Selecting both
directories and local registry)

My question - is this enough?

We are not a huge company (15 users) - but if the server goes bang and
I have to re-install everything - I need to be able to put my data
back into the fresh exchange.

I also think the machine is a PDC (with no BDC) - This sounds
dangerous (from my reading) - what should I do to help myself - Is
there a way to get around not having a BDC?

Thanks

Dan

Am I doing enough?

Post by Andy David [MVP » Tue, 20 May 2003 20:43:18

Here is the DR Paper for 5.5:
http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/administration/55/BackupRe...

You definetly should have a BDC IMO.
Get any old server or workstation, rebuild it and make it BDC.

Quote:>We have Exchange 5.5 - I do a backup in NTBackup (Selecting both
>directories and local registry)

>My question - is this enough?

>We are not a huge company (15 users) - but if the server goes bang and
>I have to re-install everything - I need to be able to put my data
>back into the fresh exchange.

>I also think the machine is a PDC (with no BDC) - This sounds
>dangerous (from my reading) - what should I do to help myself - Is
>there a way to get around not having a BDC?

>Thanks

>Dan

Am I doing enough?

Post by Da » Fri, 23 May 2003 19:11:46

Yes, I take on board the isue with the BDC - but is my actual Backup Procedure ok.

It almost seems to simple!!!

I posted this:"

Quote:> >We are not a huge company (15 users) - but if the server goes bang and
> >I have to re-install everything - I need to be able to put my data
> >back into the fresh exchange.

"

Thanks!

1. Am I backing up enough?

Consider following scenario
database drive fails and you discover that tape with last backup fails.
You have to restore from the night before yesterday and loose two days of
data since their is a gap in transaction logs.
You can avoid this by making two backups each night - one COPY (first)
(or differential or incremental) and one NORMAL (last) to different tape.

Yes, if done properly. See
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/techinfo/BackupRestore.htm

For what purpose?

Backup/restore over network works wonderfully. NTBACKUP2000 can backup
even to file.

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit

Kirill.

2. Generic e-mail adresses

3. Dynamic CDO profiles: What am I doing wrong?

4. Removing Exchange server in mixed mode

5. Am I doing this right?

6. Exchange 5.5 high CPU usage during IS maintenance

7. Permissions - Am I doing this right?

8. problem replying to email with an attachement.

9. What am I doing wrong?

10. Error 4116 - What am I doing wrong?

11. What Am I Doing wrong: GAL replication

12. What am I doing wrong?