OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

Post by Sarah Hetric » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Whenever a user tries to get to their mailbox using OWA, they get a message
saying "The Microsoft Exchange Server is down or the HTTP Service has been
disabled by an administrator. Please try your request again later." The
server is not down, and I have not disabled the HTTP service. This used to
work fine, as recently as a month or so ago. I have not changed the
configuration in that time period, although it is possible that an
administrator from our parent company (using the same Exchange organization)
has changed something. I have obtained several articles from Technet about
this, but have had no luck so far. Can anybody help?

OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Any help from
 http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...

> Whenever a user tries to get to their mailbox using OWA, they get a message
> saying "The Microsoft Exchange Server is down or the HTTP Service has been
> disabled by an administrator. Please try your request again later." The
> server is not down, and I have not disabled the HTTP service. This used to
> work fine, as recently as a month or so ago. I have not changed the
> configuration in that time period, although it is possible that an
> administrator from our parent company (using the same Exchange organization)
> has changed something. I have obtained several articles from Technet about
> this, but have had no luck so far. Can anybody help?

OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

Post by Sarah Hetric » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Yes, that is one of the documents I looked at. The HTTP protocol is not
disabled. Anonymous access is not disabled in LDAP. Anonymous account has
Search access at the Configuration container level. The Information Store
service is started. I checked the registry keys listed, and they have the
correct information.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the Anonymous account. What
other things should I look for, besides the Search access?

Quote:> Any help from

http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
.asp

> > Whenever a user tries to get to their mailbox using OWA, they get a
message
> > saying "The Microsoft Exchange Server is down or the HTTP Service has
been
> > disabled by an administrator. Please try your request again later." The
> > server is not down, and I have not disabled the HTTP service. This used
> > work fine, as recently as a month or so ago. I have not changed the
> > configuration in that time period, although it is possible that an
> > administrator from our parent company (using the same Exchange
organization)
> > has changed something. I have obtained several articles from Technet
about
> > this, but have had no luck so far. Can anybody help?

OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Try to search at
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp
for exact error message

> Yes, that is one of the documents I looked at. The HTTP protocol is not
> disabled. Anonymous access is not disabled in LDAP. Anonymous account has
> Search access at the Configuration container level. The Information Store
> service is started. I checked the registry keys listed, and they have the
> correct information.

> I am wondering if it has something to do with the Anonymous account. What
> other things should I look for, besides the Search access?

> > Any help from

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...
> .asp

> > > Whenever a user tries to get to their mailbox using OWA, they get a
> message
> > > saying "The Microsoft Exchange Server is down or the HTTP Service has
> been
> > > disabled by an administrator. Please try your request again later." The
> > > server is not down, and I have not disabled the HTTP service. This used
> > > work fine, as recently as a month or so ago. I have not changed the
> > > configuration in that time period, although it is possible that an
> > > administrator from our parent company (using the same Exchange
> organization)
> > > has changed something. I have obtained several articles from Technet
> about
> > > this, but have had no luck so far. Can anybody help?

OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

Post by Steve Spenc » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

try restarting the web service. we have found that anytime the exchange
server gets rebooted, the web service on the owa machine has to be
stopped/restarted.

--
Steve Spence
Renewable Energy Pages

--

> Try to search at
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp
> for exact error message

> > Yes, that is one of the documents I looked at. The HTTP protocol is not
> > disabled. Anonymous access is not disabled in LDAP. Anonymous account
has
> > Search access at the Configuration container level. The Information
Store
> > service is started. I checked the registry keys listed, and they have
the
> > correct information.

> > I am wondering if it has something to do with the Anonymous account.
What
> > other things should I look for, besides the Search access?

> > > Any help from

http://support.microsoft.com/support/exchange/content/whitepapers/owa...

> > .asp

> > message
> > been
The
> > organization)
> > about

OWA says server is down or HTTP disabled

Post by Sarah Hetric » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I got OWA working again, and I thought I'd share my results with the group.
Many people here had many great suggestions, but unfortunately, none of them
worked for me. Then I got to thinking.... I applied NT SP5 (up from SP3) a
little while before I found that OWA had stopped working. So, I applied NT
SP6a, and then Exchange SP3, and now it works. Thanks to everyone who helped
out!

Quote:> Whenever a user tries to get to their mailbox using OWA, they get a