Distribution List - Members of List get mail too

Distribution List - Members of List get mail too

Post by Michael Natal » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We are running Exchange 5.5 SP3 w/Outlook 2000 as a client.

The complaint is that if a user is a member of a distrubution list and then
sends mail to that distribution list, they get a copy of the email along
with all the other members.

Is there a way to tell Exchange to NOT send a copy of the mail to the person
originating it IF they are a member of the DL list?

Pls respond if possible to email as well as the group.

Thanks in advance!
-Michael Natale

Distribution List - Members of List get mail too

Post by Jonathan Reise » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Make the user an owner of the Distribution List (if it already has an owner,
by adding his/her NT account to the Permissions tab as a user) and instruct
the user on how to remove him/herself from the list, send the message, then
put him/herself back.

After a while the user will realize that he/she is bothering you about
something that's quite inconsequential. What is the purpose of a
distribution list anyway?

> We are running Exchange 5.5 SP3 w/Outlook 2000 as a client.

> The complaint is that if a user is a member of a distrubution list and
then
> sends mail to that distribution list, they get a copy of the email along
> with all the other members.

> Is there a way to tell Exchange to NOT send a copy of the mail to the
person
> originating it IF they are a member of the DL list?

> Pls respond if possible to email as well as the group.

> Thanks in advance!
> -Michael Natale

Distribution List - Members of List get mail too

Post by Michael Natal » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Agreed but that solution is unworkable as people actually use the
Distribution lists here.

Also the users here have a habit of complaining about stuff but then not
being willing to actually DO anything themselves to fix it.

Am I alone with this?  ;)

-Michael

> Make the user an owner of the Distribution List (if it already has an
owner,
> by adding his/her NT account to the Permissions tab as a user) and
instruct
> the user on how to remove him/herself from the list, send the message,
then
> put him/herself back.

> After a while the user will realize that he/she is bothering you about
> something that's quite inconsequential. What is the purpose of a
> distribution list anyway?

> > We are running Exchange 5.5 SP3 w/Outlook 2000 as a client.

> > The complaint is that if a user is a member of a distrubution list and
> then
> > sends mail to that distribution list, they get a copy of the email along
> > with all the other members.

> > Is there a way to tell Exchange to NOT send a copy of the mail to the
> person
> > originating it IF they are a member of the DL list?

> > Pls respond if possible to email as well as the group.

> > Thanks in advance!
> > -Michael Natale

1. Getting a list of Distribution Lists and their members

Hi there,

I have been trying to extract a list of all the distribution lists in our
GAL, including the names of the people in the lists.

Is there a relatively simple way of doing this without using 3rd party apps?

I have looked around on the web and can't find much, most likely because I
can't think of the right search terms...

thanks,

Mark

2. 2078 Event - Transfer Out Of Gateway

3. Regaining access to an .OST file after SID's changed

4. SMTP in Microsoft Exchange

5. programmatic modification of members of a distribution list (DL) on the global address list (GAL)

6. Exchange 2000 without active directory?

7. Distribution List - Member list? How to produce

8. member of distribution list not receiving emails sent to list

9. List Members of a Distribution List ?

10. Distribution Lists not delivering to members of list, individuals OK

11. Export list of distribution lists members